2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram Brake problems - need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 12:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

It helps to put a little grease, or anti-seize around 'em when you put in the new ones. Makes removal easier. Of course, generally, most folks will only replace them once in the trucks lifetime.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:04 AM
j404ski
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding brakes with 4-wheel abs

Originally Posted by true blue
When "bleeding" a brake system with 4 whl ABS, you need a bi-directional scanner to properly bleed the ABS portion of the system, especially if you let air into the lines when you replaced the calipers.
Do you know of a model that will work for my 2001 Dodge 3500 that doesn't cost $800?
I've tried bleeding my break several times and still have a spongy pedal. Suspect I need a body directional scanner because I have 4-wheel abs.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:06 AM
j404ski
Rookie
Default Bleeding brakes with 4-wheel abs

When "bleeding" a brake system with 4 whl ABS, you need a bi-directional scanner to properly bleed the ABS portion of the system, especially if you let air into the lines when you replaced the calipers.
Do you know of a model that will work for my 2001 Dodge 3500 that doesn't cost $800?
I've tried bleeding my break several times and still have a spongy pedal. Suspect I need a body directional scanner because I have 4-wheel abs.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Talk to the independent shops in your area. Might be cheaper to just pay them to address it, than to buy the scanner.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:43 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Unfortunately no. I wound up getting my own, forkin' out the money, cause I didn't trust the mechanix in my area any further than I could throw them. Times in the past when I took my mechanical wonders to a mechanic, the final bill was ALWAYS more than the estimate. Not to mention, no mechanix seem to know a damn thing about 'fuel sync' on these museum pieces. I didn't have almost a grand burning a hole in my pocket, however, it paid for itself in less than a year with the 3 vehicles in my household.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:03 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by j404ski

I've done brake work for over 50 years. I've bled many systems, with and without ABS and never had an issue with bleeding them. As long as you don't get air in the ABS motor, it's not an issue. It's counter intuitive but when you just can't get rid of a spongy feel, I always check the rear wheel cylinders. A bad wheel cylinder will cause the pedal to feel spongy. That plus a high loop on the bleed hose cures 90+% of brake problems.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:23 AM
true blue
Veteran

I hear ya brother. I found out the hard way meself. ALWAYS, no NEVER let any kid of air get into the ABS module, you'll live to regret it! So the lesson learned by Stevie when it came to ABS bleeding...NEVER, no ALWAYS bleed from as close to the calipers as possible!

Old 11-23-2021, 07:24 AM
j404ski
Rookie

Unfortunately no. I wound up getting my own, forkin' out the money, cause I didn't trust the mechanix in my area any further than I could throw them. Times in the past when I took my mechanical wonders to a mechanic, the final bill was ALWAYS more than the estimate. Not to mention, no mechanix seem to know a damn thing about 'fuel sync' on these museum pieces. I didn't have almost a grand burning a hole in my pocket, however, it paid for itself in less than a year with the 3 vehicles in my household.
True blue ,what kind of scanner did you get and where did you buy it at. I agree with you some of these mechanics don't know what they're doing and you might as well do it yourself.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:39 AM
true blue
Veteran
Smile

I brought a launch x431v. I forget the exact amount, however, it was about $850 with tax. I brought it on amazon. If you combine the amount of diag time you save along with throwin' away the parts cannon, it's amazing how fast they pay for themselves. Don't forget the almost mandatory accessory of the oracle of youtube...sold separately!

Old 11-23-2021, 09:53 AM
j404ski
Rookie

I brought a launch x431v. I forget the exact amount, however, it was about $850 with tax. I brought it on amazon. If you combine the amount of diag time you save along with throwin' away the parts cannon, it's amazing how fast they pay for themselves. Don't forget the almost mandatory accessory of the oracle of youtube...sold separately!
Thanks for the info I will check it out. By the way what is the mandatory Oracle of youtube?

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram Brake problems - need help