2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Brake ABS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 11:49 AM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brake ABS

So I have swapped my rear axle with a 3rd gen with disc brakes. Everything feels great but I can't seem to lock up the rear brakes even when slamming the brakes on gravel. I am thinking of possibly putting in an adjustable proportioning valve. I see the stock proportioning valve goes into what looks like the abs controller. Does all that controller do is make the abs function? Could I leave that if I put in an adjustable valve since it is separate from the stock proportioning vakve?

Old 10-31-2021, 12:12 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

My truck is an 02 (3rd gen with 5.9/46re) with disc all way around. I put all new calipers hoses pads and rotors, mine doesn’t lock the rear…

and you do know that braking power is roughly 65-70% of force goes to front, about 35-30% rear Which is why our trucks are easy to power brake…

Old 10-31-2021, 12:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

With rear wheel ABS, you aren't supposed to be able to lock up the rears.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:47 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
With rear wheel ABS, you aren't supposed to be able to lock up the rears.
Really? I thought abs just pulsed the brakes if they started to slide. Are they not ever supposed to lock up?

Old 10-31-2021, 01:20 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BClark_35
Really? I thought abs just pulsed the brakes if they started to slide. Are they not ever supposed to lock up?
Not if the ABS is working. Do you hear it kick in ? You could always disable it by disconnecting the rear ABS sensor. Having said that, I assume you went from rear drums to disc. Drums are "self energizing" and don't require as much pressure, the pistons are also somewhat smaller. Typically the master cylinder is different between drums and discs.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:38 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Not if the ABS is working. Do you hear it kick in ? You could always disable it by disconnecting the rear ABS sensor. Having said that, I assume you went from rear drums to disc. Drums are "self energizing" and don't require as much pressure, the pistons are also somewhat smaller. Typically the master cylinder is different between drums and discs.
Tough to say. Can't hear much over the front brakes locking up on the gravel. I don't have any complaints as far as braking power. Just don't know if I should he able to lock up the rears. The brakes are always warm like they are being used but I just can't stop them

Old 10-31-2021, 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The rear-only ABS isn't really loud, and doesn't announce itself much, if at all. I can feel the pedal sink a bit when it engages, but, that's it.

ABS = Anti-Lock Brakes. If the system is working properly, then no, you won't be able to lock the rear brakes.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:01 PM
BClark_35
Professional

The rear-only ABS isn't really loud, and doesn't announce itself much, if at all. I can feel the pedal sink a bit when it engages, but, that's it.

ABS = Anti-Lock Brakes. If the system is working properly, then no, you won't be able to lock the rear brakes.
Well I can't lock them up so maybe it's all working as it's supposed to. Haven't really paid attention to the pedal feel. I'm just used to feeling the ABS pump the brakes but now that I think about it that's probably only for front abs.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:18 PM
BClark_35
Professional

But back to my original question, if I were to put in an adjustable proportioning valve would I have to do anything to the abs or could I just leave it be?

Old 10-31-2021, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Why do you want an adjustable proportioning valve?? So far as I know, that valve is the same for both disk, and drum brakes. ABS takes care of any serious imbalance.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake ABS