2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V-8 vibrator.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts
Default V-8 vibrator.

Okay, get your mind out of the gutter. This isn't kinky. I did a 500 mile round trip to deliver a car yesterday. Fiona did pretty good but I noticed at 75 mph, the truck felt like it was running over the rumble strips on the edge of the road. Slow below that speed and no noise. 75 mph exactly, the rumble and I could feel it. Tires are new and balanced. Brakes are good. In the near future I may pull the drive shafts and feel the joints for hitches. It felt like suspension related. Anybody got any ideas? Engine and transmission were both purring along.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 11-08-2021 at 09:41 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 11-09-2021, 02:52 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

My left front shock is bad and mine does it at 70-75 cuz the shock is so blown the tires bouncing up and down. I can see it cupping the one tire now…..sucks being a mechanic and not having much time for your own stuff

Old 11-09-2021, 06:25 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
My left front shock is bad and mine does it at 70-75 cuz the shock is so blown the tires bouncing up and down. I can see it cupping the one tire now…..sucks being a mechanic and not having much time for your own stuff

Tell me about it. My shocks are new. That at least may not be the issue. I don't really need to go faster than 75 anyway. I'm not planning to head to Arkansas or Texas where the limits are higher with it. I just don't like things to NOT be right. I do have new rotors as one as a slight warp. It shouldn't cause that but I'm addressing it while the weather is fairly warm.

I wonder what people thought when they saw the title?

Last edited by ol' grouch; 11-09-2021 at 06:26 AM. Reason: i kan spel wurth a durn.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Tell me about it. My shocks are new. That at least may not be the issue. I don't really need to go faster than 75 anyway. I'm not planning to head to Arkansas or Texas where the limits are higher with it. I just don't like things to NOT be right. I do have new rotors as one as a slight warp. It shouldn't cause that but I'm addressing it while the weather is fairly warm.

Exactly what you think they thought.

Any place around you do on-the-car tire balancing?

Old 11-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome to the club, grouch!! 75 is where mine vibes too!

I'm just waiting for it to get worse at this point because there's just no way to find the problem.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:18 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch

roads are 75mph up in northern maine lol…

but yea could be tire balance, possible trac bar

Old 11-09-2021, 07:55 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Exactly what you think they thought.

Any place around you do on-the-car tire balancing?

That's how they balanced the tires when I bought them. I always marvel at that contraption. Many years ago, I used a rotating shaft and balanced tires by rolling them or by putting them on a bubble balancer.

As or what people think, I love to make blue noses look silly. I mentioned once there were two things about Dolly Parton I greatly admired.

Get out of the gutter again. She has a bright and cheerful singing style, even when she sings "Jolene" which is NOT a happy song and when she smiles, her whole face smiles, she doesn't just bare her teeth.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:16 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

The vibration is gone. When I went through the front end, I went ahead and replaced the wheel bearings while I had everything apart. One spun smooth and the other had some catches in it. I took it up to the interstate and at 75 mph as clocked by GPS, no vibration. Before at that speed it was like a rumble strip. There is a slight buzz at 80 but I can watch my fuel gauge drop at that speed. I noticed one universal on my axle shaft had rusty bearings but that can wait until spring and warmer weather. It works but needs to come out eventually. I've got new joints for when I get time.

Quick Reply: V-8 vibrator.