2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny fluid?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 AM
wildwolf59
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny fluid?????

ok guys i called the dodge stealer here and asked them if they flush trannies and they said they just change it and not really flush it so how do you guys really flush the system and what type of fluid should i use......i have heard of two different ones the atf+3 and the atf+4......so i was just curious of which one it was....i have a 2000 5.9 QC 4x4.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:38 AM
livinginh
Veteran
Default RE: tranny fluid?????

Go to a good tranny shop and they have the equipment to flush the system. Cant help on which fluid though sorry

Old 12-30-2005, 01:01 AM
grandmazer

I myself being a mechanic and having access to a flush machine would drop the pan (If I never had before) and change the filter then flush it with machine. If I didn't have access to the proper equipment I would have it flushed at a shop that has the proper equipment. And depending on the circumstances possibly change the filter myself before having it flushed..

Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
grandmazer

Ohh also as far as fluid I would use either atf3 or 4. Some places will use Dextron/Mercron and put a additive in the fluid to convert it. (So they say) Stay away from that. Use the proper fluid.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 AM
REDKNOB
Rookie

you can use the atf3 if you add the modifier but you should upgrade to the atf4(no modifier needed). you can only get the 4 at the stealership, ask them if they will pump it out of their bulk tank (take jugs with you) because it is cheaper than buying packaged quarts. you need six quarts for a pan drop/filter change.

You can do a complete flush yourself if you have the time. You will need about 14-18 qts of fluid. Drop the pan, change the filter, reinstall pan. Get 2 large buckets (or whatever), disconnect the 2 cooler lines up front put one empty container under the discharge line and one full container with the suction side hose (may need to extend this line) in it. Start the truck and put it in neutral (pump will not work in park). MAKE SURE TO KEEP FLUID IN FULL CONTAINER. when you've used all your new fluid shut it down and reconnect the lines to the cooler,,,you're done. It takes approx 12 qts to fill a completely empty trans and converter and all lines, hence the 14-18 qts to get a good flush.

It's easy to make a mess doing this so beware and it would be nice to have an extra set of hands!

Old 12-30-2005, 11:49 AM
wildwolf59
Professional

OK redknob i think i will try that since there isnt any shop around here that will do a complete flush.....but the atf+4 is the right fluid to put back in then????? I dont want to have to add modifier or anything so by using the atf+4 will work.......by the way how much is that a quart and is it really worth the complete flush? By the way ...if i am not having any shifting problems should i try still to adjust the bands in the tranny????

Old 12-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Blackimpala

Thanks Redkonb for the proceeders for flushing I had found them before but lost the site. Wildwolf, check your owners man. it will tell you if it is ATF+3 or 4 Mopar switched around that year. I know that I read that you can use ATF+4 in a trans. made for +3, very costly, but you can't use ATF+3 in a trans made for +4. I also read that Mopar was to licence other manufactors, Sept. 05, to make the ATF+4. I could not find it at any parts stores. If anyone knows of any let us know, It will be alot cheaper.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
mikecjn
Professional

I have the same truck and the manual says to use the ATF+4.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:52 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

According to chrysler atf+4 superceeds the atf+3. It is a much better fluid.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:03 PM
REDKNOB
Rookie

wildwolf--yes you should use the atf4, no modifier needed and it is what is recommended for your truck. I think I paid $28 for 8 qts but remember I said they pumped it from their bulk tank not the prepackaged qts. As far as weather or not it is worth a complete flush,,,well I have heard differing opinions on this, as for me I think it is. And I think all will agree that as long as you are there you should do the band adjustments weather it is slipping or not.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Quick Reply: tranny fluid?????