2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gear Selector Lever Lower

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 08:17 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Gear Selector Lever Lower

I'm working on getting my shifter setup for my Jeep and have a question about the gear selector lever and which models came with what style.

This is the lever that I have and mine is suppose to be from a 1998 Dakota w/44RE.

A friend has a transmission from a 1998 Durango and his selector lever looks like this.

Can anyone help me identify the second selector lever and what years and models this style came on? I need one like this one.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2021, 11:29 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Luckily, the lever has a part number on it. If you google "Mopar 52107678" you will find places where it is available and what vehicles use it.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:15 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Luckily, the lever has a part number on it. If you google "Mopar 52107678" you will find places where it is available and what vehicles use it.
I wasn't looking for the flat one but the raised one in the second two pictures.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:59 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Sorry about that. Didn't see the 2nd photo. Do you happen to know what transmission that shift lever is connected to in the 1998 Durango?

Old 12-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Sorry about that. Didn't see the 2nd photo. Do you happen to know what transmission that shift lever is connected to in the 1998 Durango?
It's a 5.9 & 46RE. I've never seen a shift lever that looked like that and haven't had any luck finding one online. But I think I've got something else figured out.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:48 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Okay I don't know if this will help. The picture are not the good on the mopar site. 1998 5.9 with 46RE manual shift level is 52107686AB and the TV lever is is 52079065. TV lever for a 44RE 03081227. These are all Mopar part numbers. TV is the Throttle Valve lever aka as the kick down lever.

The following users liked this post:
Wildman4x4nut (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 03:01 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

I have been trying to install a Winters shifter and of course they don't offer one for a 46RE so I'd ordered the kit for a 727 instead. The linkage that they include doesn't come close to doing anything and for sure doesn't fit. I have a center console offered by GenRight.

I have the stock normal shifter and TV arm also.

This was my first attempt at getting it all hooked up. Not only was the angle BAD going from the mount to the arm but then I also had clearance issues with the TV bracket. A fellow V-8 swapped Jeep buddy had told me how he had his setup and he is the one with the raised shifter arm.

Then my other issue at this point was that I couldn't get the shifter adjusted properly. When I shifter to park it ended up in reverse and then when going for 1st I was in between 2nd and 1st.

After messing with it for close to a day adjusting and then readjusting and readjusting and readjusting the cable I was about ready to throw my arms in the air. So I decided to try something different than what I had been. I'd mentioned to another Jeep buddy that what I needed was a longer shifter arm for the transmission. So I came up with this.

And BOOM just like that the shifter was hitting every position like it should. But then I still had this problem with my shifter cable location. And as you can see the TV cable bracket was in the way and then I managed to break it.

So I made a new mount for the cable on the transmission and now it is almost lined up perfectly and not a issue anymore. Then on top of that it clears the TV cable bracket by a hair if maybe a little more.

So I don't need the raised shifter arm anymore since I fixed the issue another way.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:43 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

I really love that Winters Sidewinder shifter! I use one in my '69 Dodge Charger R/T and '69 Dodge Dart with 727 transmissions. You might want to contact Winters Performance to see if they have any advise for you or to discuss with them what you've fabbed up, so that they can ultimately offer the shifter for 46RE users. I've had good support from them when I've had shifter issues or questions with their products. I suspect that someone fabbed up the shifter selector lever used on your buddy's Durango. Thanks for sharing the more detailed information to help explain what was going on with your custom shifter install.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 12-09-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:07 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

I really love that Winters Sidewinder shifter! I use one in my '69 Dodge Charger R/T and '69 Dodge Dart with 727 transmissions. You might want to contact Winters Performance to see if they have any advise for you or to discuss with them what you've fabbed up, so that they can ultimately offer the shifter for 46RE users. I've had good support from them when I've had shifter issues or questions with their products. I suspect that someone fabbed up the shifter selector lever used on your buddy's Durango. Thanks for sharing the more detailed information to help explain what was going on with your custom shifter install.
I've never used a Winters shifter before so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I have a lot of buddies in the Jeep world who use them also and swear by them as a great off-road shifter.

I'll give them a call and see if they are interested in what I did to make this work with the 46RE.

Quick Reply: Gear Selector Lever Lower