2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Replacement/Upgrade 1997 Cummings

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 03:10 PM
Oldmics
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Replacement/Upgrade 1997 Cummings

Looking for suggestions for a transmission upgrade for my 1997 3500 two wheel drive pickup.

Its the 47RE transmission. I"m looking for a heavier duty replacement .

I ocassionally tow a 10K trailer total load so I dont need an ultimate H.D. unit

I am on the East coast so I"m looking for somebody close to my Balto.Md. location to save on shipping costs.

I can install it myself but am looking for suggestions as to where to acquire one. Not interested in rebuilding what is currently in the vehicle.

Appreciate suggestions.Thanks in advance.

New kid on the block

Old 12-08-2021, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

48RE will bolt right in, hook right up, and work just fine. It's a bit heavier duty than the 47. Gotta be careful with years though. To be safe, a 96 or 97 trans would be best, if you are 2wd, that becomes a requirement. (no provision for the VSS on newer models.)

Old 12-08-2021, 03:36 PM
Oldmics

My limited understanding is that both the 47 and 48 RE units used essentially the same OD mechanism"s. That is supposedly the problems with these units?

Your informing me that the 48RE is a direct bolt in to replace the 47RE for my 2 wheel drive machine ? And in your opinion it is a better unit ?

I looked at some of these "super duty" transmissions availiable and I was sorta leaning towards something like that , except for the price!

Thanks for your suggestion. Can you elaborate any more ?

Old 12-08-2021, 03:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, you can get a truly stout trans, that will take 1000 hp, but, they are made of platinum.... at least, looking at pricing you would think so.

The 48 is a tougher trans, but, I think it uses the same O/D unit as the 47. So, if it's the O/D unit that is your failure point, that won't help ya much.

There as things you can do to beef up the unit though, extra clutches/steels, etc. There might even be upgraded hard parts, but, I haven't done much looking into that. If there is a local trans shop, that has a clue about the dodge transmissions, might have a chat with them, and see what they can do for you...... One of the advantages to having it done locally is, if there is a problem, you can just go see 'em, and for engine/trans work, that is my preferred method, regardless of if it is a bit more expensive.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:08 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

I'd suggest having a talk with the folks at ATI Performance Products. They are located in Gwynn Oak, MD. They build performance transmissions in that area.
Also, keep in mind that towing a heavy trailer in overdrive is not recommended.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 12-08-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:11 PM
Oldmics

Had not thought of them. Usually they are a race vehicle shop so I didnt consider them. Excellent suggestion.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2021, 11:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oldmics
Had not thought of them. Usually they are a race vehicle shop so I didnt consider them. Excellent suggestion.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!
You're welcome. A friend of mine had them build a performance 727 transmission a while ago. He had a minor issue with it after it was installed and they stood behind the rebuilt trans and addressed the issue.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:03 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
48RE will bolt right in, hook right up, and work just fine. It's a bit heavier duty than the 47. Gotta be careful with years though. To be safe, a 96 or 97 trans would be best, if you are 2wd, that becomes a requirement. (no provision for the VSS on newer models.)
the 48 didn't come around until 03 I believe? I was also unaware that it would be plug and play?

Originally Posted by Oldmics
My limited understanding is that both the 47 and 48 RE units used essentially the same OD mechanism"s. That is supposedly the problems with these units?

Your informing me that the 48RE is a direct bolt in to replace the 47RE for my 2 wheel drive machine ? And in your opinion it is a better unit ?

I looked at some of these "super duty" transmissions availiable and I was sorta leaning towards something like that , except for the price!

Thanks for your suggestion. Can you elaborate any more ?
Just a break down for your knowledge the transmission models are broken down 4=number of forward gears, 7="torque rating", R=rear wheel drive, E=electronic controls, so yes the the 48 is a "beefier" trans and Im sure with some know how it can be converted to work probably, especially if you went FMVB but not sure that's what you're looking for

In all straight forward honesty the only killer of these trans is heat and abuse. Get a nice cooler and trans temp gauge keep her under 230*F temps, ATF starts to compromise around 240*F i believe. dont do 7000hp boost 4x4 launches ect ect thats what breaks em. You could just as well rebuild yours as the one you buy is going to be no different just have the upgraded internal parts, unless you're looking to drive yours until the new one comes in.

How much modification have you done so far engine wise

Old 12-09-2021, 04:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
the 48 didn't come around until 03 I believe? I was also unaware that it would be plug and play?

Just a break down for your knowledge the transmission models are broken down 4=number of forward gears, 7="torque rating", R=rear wheel drive, E=electronic controls, so yes the the 48 is a "beefier" trans and Im sure with some know how it can be converted to work probably, especially if you went FMVB but not sure that's what you're looking for

In all straight forward honesty the only killer of these trans is heat and abuse. Get a nice cooler and trans temp gauge keep her under 230*F temps, ATF starts to compromise around 240*F i believe. dont do 7000hp boost 4x4 launches ect ect thats what breaks em. You could just as well rebuild yours as the one you buy is going to be no different just have the upgraded internal parts, unless you're looking to drive yours until the new one comes in.

How much modification have you done so far engine wise
You are correct sir! 48 came out in 03. That will complicate matters, and it likely won't be plug and play. I think the trans range sensor will be the problem, and if it's 2WD, VSS.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:29 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You are correct sir! 48 came out in 03. That will complicate matters, and it likely won't be plug and play. I think the trans range sensor will be the problem, and if it's 2WD, VSS.
Dodge did some valve body voodoo around 99 also? even a 99 trans wont swap to 2000 IIRC, Solenoid resistances or something?

Quick Reply: Trans Replacement/Upgrade 1997 Cummings