2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 03:20 PM
Axtel
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC Evaporator

Anyone know how the remove these? It’s a UAC brand.

The Allen screw has no effect clockwise or counter clockwise. Both of them appear to be stripped unless they work some other way.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:05 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I’m not familiar with those caps.
If it is stripped threads, put a screwdriver between the tabs and twist whilst unscrewing the screw.

Alternative might be to file off the plastic nub, sprain the tabs far enough to clear what’s left of the nub, then slide the metal to the side.

Additional tips:

Don’t forget to put some PAG oil on the o-ring before assembly.

Put a rubber sleeve over the plastic vacuum line where it goes through the firewall, or it’ll chaff through again.
You can use (I think it is) 1/8” ID tube as a joiner with a smear of silicone to seal it.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:15 PM
Axtel
Amateur

Thanks Bryan. Sorta feel a bit silly here, but I found a photo of the back side of these caps and it appears there is a nut rather than welded threads. I never paid too much attention to it and wanted to keep the caps on during placement on the firewall. That should take care of it. I did find a funny review off Amazon with someone’s experience with these caps.

The following users liked this post:
Spillage (03-17-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Axtel
Amateur

I was able to remove the caps but now I am unable to snap in the line coming from the condenser. I removed the line, flipped it around and was easily able to snap it in at the condenser. I also was easily able to snap it into the old evaporator. I tried snapping into the new evaporator again and no luck. It slides in up to the spring but the flange can’t seem to work underneath the spring to expand. Looks like I will have to pull the box back out and try another evaporator. Glad I did not reattach the dash. I only wish I tried connecting it before I installed it into the box. Any suggestions before I do this? Thanks.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Axtel
I was able to remove the caps but now I am unable to snap in the line coming from the condenser. I removed the line, flipped it around and was easily able to snap it in at the condenser. I also was easily able to snap it into the old evaporator. I tried snapping into the new evaporator again and no luck. It slides in up to the spring but the flange can’t seem to work underneath the spring to expand. Looks like I will have to pull the box back out and try another evaporator. Glad I did not reattach the dash. I only wish I tried connecting it before I installed it into the box. Any suggestions before I do this? Thanks.
It gets tight but it is possible

Old 03-20-2022, 05:31 PM
Axtel
Amateur

Thanks. It sure is. I’m just afraid I am going to damage it if I put more pressure and more “tapping”. There is no way to rotate it to encourage it.

Also I noticed most evaporators do not come with foam around the body and pipes. The original does. I’ve tried removing the foam on the old evaporator but it’s pretty much stuck there. Is this necessary? Seems to have a use for sealing for better air flow.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:07 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Axtel
Thanks. It sure is. I’m just afraid I am going to damage it if I put more pressure and more “tapping”. There is no way to rotate it to encourage it.

Also I noticed most evaporators do not come with foam around the body and pipes. The original does. I’ve tried removing the foam on the old evaporator but it’s pretty much stuck there. Is this necessary? Seems to have a use for sealing for better air flow.
lube the o rings and yes it is. It's there to stop water from coming in

Old 03-25-2022, 06:54 AM
Axtel
Amateur

I cut the connections off the old accumulator and experimented with them on the old evaporator to get a better feel how these connections are made. With the o-rings lubed, sometimes they can snap on straight in and sometimes you have to give them a slight twist. This is very difficult on the low pressure line at the evaporator end due to all the bends it has to get to the condenser. Disconnecting the condenser end gave me a little bit of room to twist the line to allow it to snap in place, but it was still difficult. Thanks to all for the input!

Quick Reply: AC Evaporator