2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS light. Emergency light and no cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 03:30 PM
ThatRedRam
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ABS light. Emergency light and no cruise control

Idk if all these problems are tied in together but I have these problems for years and never tried to fix them. My emergency brake doesn’t work I realized the other day. When I brake going slow my truck feels like it’s going up and down sorta. When it rains bad my tires will lock hitting the brakes also. My cruise control has never worked. The ABS light and Emegency brake light is always on.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatRedRam
Idk if all these problems are tied in together but I have these problems for years and never tried to fix them. My emergency brake doesn’t work I realized the other day. When I brake going slow my truck feels like it’s going up and down sorta. When it rains bad my tires will lock hitting the brakes also. My cruise control has never worked. The ABS light and Emegency brake light is always on.
The cruise problem does it come on in the cluster, just doesn't set? The ABS and brake light being on means you have no ABS. Get the codes scanned at AutoZone or Advance if you don't have a high end scanner. Do you have 4 wheel ABS?

Old 03-27-2022, 05:48 PM
ThatRedRam
Professional

Yeah It’s 4wheel abs and it doesn’t pop up in the cluster when I use cruise control

Old 03-27-2022, 05:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatRedRam
Yeah It’s 4wheel abs and it doesn’t pop up in the cluster when I use cruise control
You have to get the code then. Not lighting up on the Custer could be a multitude of things. Do you have the FSM for your truck? If not download it from the FAQ section. It has a section dedicates to diagnosing the cruise control system.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:56 AM
ThatRedRam
Professional

people have told me to get the FSM for so many different things but it never gives me a code or i cant find it in that book. So imma try to just look it up i guess

Old 03-28-2022, 01:23 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

You can find the factory service manuals here - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 03-29-2022, 08:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Need a fairly high-zoot scanner to read ABS codes..... At one point, the parts stores around here wouldn't read them, they claimed 'liability reasons'.... Last time I was at advance auto though, their scanner would do ABS.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:33 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need a fairly high-zoot scanner to read ABS codes..... At one point, the parts stores around here wouldn't read them, they claimed 'liability reasons'.... Last time I was at advance auto though, their scanner would do ABS.

Probably more like either they didn't want to spend the money or the staff couldn't read it. I went off on one local employee. He told me to grease the pads when I put new pads on a truck. I told him in a VERY loud and clear voice that you grease the PINS, not the pads! I'll listen to someone giving advice if I'm unsure. However, if I've done something for more than 50 years, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Probably more like either they didn't want to spend the money or the staff couldn't read it. I went off on one local employee. He told me to grease the pads when I put new pads on a truck. I told him in a VERY loud and clear voice that you grease the PINS, not the pads! I'll listen to someone giving advice if I'm unsure. However, if I've done something for more than 50 years, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.
You would like to think so, eh?

Yeah, I have had the odd 'young kid that don't know squat' trying to tell me how to do various jobs.... Usually, when I tell them I have been turning wrenches longer than they have been alive, and they are full of feces..... They stop offering 'advice'...... Fortunately, the parts store I have been dealing with for the last several decades is pretty good.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:30 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You would like to think so, eh?

Yeah, I have had the odd 'young kid that don't know squat' trying to tell me how to do various jobs.... Usually, when I tell them I have been turning wrenches longer than they have been alive, and they are full of feces..... They stop offering 'advice'...... Fortunately, the parts store I have been dealing with for the last several decades is pretty good.

It's not just auto repair. A few years ago, I was looking to get a double action revolver. I told the idiot at the gun counter I was looking for a double action pistol for the garage. He told me all pistols are semi-automatic. Somebody like that around loaded weapons scares me. Just like greasing brake pads.

Quick Reply: ABS light. Emergency light and no cruise control