2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE trans code

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 07:21 PM
Sirriggs
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 46RE trans code

I went today and bought a Zurich OBD2 Code Reader. I ran it today and got the code P1757. Governor Pressure. Now I just bought this kit and everything on eBay and I will need to contact buyer about the it. I thought these parts are tested before shipped? I will have to got back into the pan again to replace it. When I did the work. The fluid was clean and no broken parts or metal fragments were found on magnet. No other codes present.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Time for a drain plug as well?

Old 05-18-2022, 10:32 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Or an aftermarket transmission pan with a drain plug if you don't want to modify the stock pan ([url=https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-827-Transmission-Pan/dp/B009T4M1OG/[/url])

Also, a large clean drain pan ([url=https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/flotool-5-gallon-drain-pan-11845mi/89011620-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=89011620-P[/url]) to catch and re-use your existing transmission fluid.

ATF+4 is pretty darn expensive to not reuse if its good.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 05-18-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:10 AM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Time for a drain plug as well?
I agree.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:37 AM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by AtomicDog

I will install one this round. Sad part I just got rid of a couple of coffee cans. lol. I could have made a good filter system to save replacement cost. Either way the pan will have to come back off'

Old 05-19-2022, 03:25 AM
Sirriggs
Captain

I just reference the transmission book I have as we online searching and it list a few things that could be causing the code. I'm trying to rule out some of these listings. I know my fluid is clean and filter isn't clogged. Both were clean before and after replacing the new parts. Symptoms before parts change was slipping in 2nd and 3rd. Symptoms after replacement are sluggish behavior but slipping and changing gears seem to have gone away. My question is just a bad part or something else? Unfortunately, the book doesn't really have trouble shooting guide. As much I would hate to do this. I could remove new parts and reinstall the old one's and see if it goes back to the old problems? Then try to figure out from there. I replaced everything to avoid this and know everything was new. I'm honestly at a loss here. I didn't have any codes before this change of parts. The cost of a rebuild is going to be $2,200 which I am fine with but just don't have the funds at this time. My plans are to having it rebuilt in the near future. For now I just want to be able to run it while I fix and replace a few things on the truck. The truck sat for 5 years due to wife being sick. It was parked due to the slipping issue after replacing the accumulator spring. It was broke in half.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:34 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

P1757 Governor Pressure Above 3 PSI In Gear @ 0 MPH
Pressure goes up the faster you go, Not moving it should be 0 psi. So either the sensor is not reading correctly or you have to much pressure there. Put a gauge on the governor test port and see what you have.

https://www.trucktransdiag.com/downl...nsmissions.pdf

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 05:56 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
P1757 Governor Pressure Above 3 PSI In Gear @ 0 MPH
Pressure goes up the faster you go, Not moving it should be 0 psi. So either the sensor is not reading correctly or you have to much pressure there. Put a gauge on the governor test port and see what you have.

https://www.trucktransdiag.com/downl...nsmissions.pdf
Thanks for the link. Now this may be a dumb question but the only pressure check tool I have is for spark plug. What would I be looking for as tool to do this check and where to look for it? I have never done a pressure check on a transmission before. Thanks

Old 05-19-2022, 06:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

That write-up states to use a 0-300 p.s.i. gauge. The ports are 1/8" pipe thread. Something like this will work fine -
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-19-2022, 07:22 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Link didn't work but I found Harbor freight is suppose to have a kit around $46 bucks. At least this has been very helpful and I can check before pan removal. The guy from eBay is sending me out both and apologized but as i told him. sh%t happens. My guess would be its starting in second gear which would explain the sluggish but it did shift without slip so that is progress. I figure Friday after work I will go pick up this kit and go from there. This is a learning experience for me as well. I am new to do any type of work on transmissions. so my very limited knowledge doesn't help out a lot. Transmission never slipped until I replaced the accumulator spring after I was told it was most likely broken when I was experiencing over drive issues. That why it was parked in the first place. I recently got back into working on it so I have a few things to fix but getting it to where it can be driven will help speeding up the process. You can't test much with short drives or sitting in place. lol.

Quick Reply: 46RE trans code