2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Acceleration issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 06:47 AM
needzhelp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no check engine at all !!

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
One last item - does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to 'on', then go off once the engine is started? I ask, as sometimes a prior owner will have removed the check engine light bulb.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:03 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by needzhelp
no check engine at all !!
When you turn the key to 'on' you don't see the 'check engine' light come on at all? If so, the bulb may be missing or something else...

Old 05-25-2022, 07:57 PM
needzhelp

Ok so all other problems fixed thanks guys now I have another issue I replaced my thermostat water pump is working fine my engine coolant is running at a steady 302 degrees with. I thermostat at all what’s the deal

Old 05-25-2022, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

302??? That's wrong. Your engine would smoke itself in short order long before it got to that temp. Is that a typo?

Old 05-25-2022, 08:16 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

It sounds like you changed the thermostat, but the temperature is higher than normal - is that correct? If so, either you still have air in the cooling system and/or the new thermostat you purchased is defective. Getting all of the air out of the cooling system is fairly time consuming - try jacking up the front of the truck, remove the radiator cap (while the truck is cool), start the truck and very slowly add water/coolant until the radiator is full and all air bubbles seem to have dissipated. Put the radiator cap back on and drive it to see if it gets better. If not, repeat the process. If after repeating the process a few times and things don't get better, it's likely you have a bad thermostat. I'd certainly opt for a 195 degree Stant Superstat 45359. I don't tend to purchase budget thermostats, so I have extremely good fortune using Stant Superstats, as they are very good and highly accurate.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 05-25-2022 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:54 PM
needzhelp

Originally Posted by HeyYou
302??? That's wrong. Your engine would smoke itself in short order long before it got to that temp. Is that a typo?

my little reader is saying 302 temp gauge is all the way up it ran for an hour like that while I tried burping the system that’s with no thermostat at all

Old 05-25-2022, 08:56 PM
needzhelp

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
It sounds like you changed the thermostat, but the temperature is higher than normal - is that correct? If so, either you still have air in the cooling system and/or the new thermostat you purchased is defective. Getting all of the air out of the cooling system is fairly time consuming - try jacking up the front of the truck, remove the radiator cap (while the truck is cool), start the truck and very slowly add water/coolant until the radiator is full and all air bubbles seem to have dissipated. Put the radiator cap back on and drive it to see if it gets better. If not, repeat the process. If after repeating the process a few times and things don't get better, it's likely you have a bad thermostat. I'd certainly opt for a 195 degree Stant Superstat 45359. I don't tend to purchase budget thermostats, so I have extremely good fortune using Stant Superstats, as they are very good and highly accurate.

ok so I went with the 195 it was still over heating so k took it out all together still running hot so the gauge says ram for over an hour while burping it or trying to still running hot the gauge will drop down to normal the hot again my little reader is says it’s running 302 idk seems to be running fine I drove it around the block just seems sluggish I’m at a loss

Old 05-25-2022, 11:18 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Running without a thermostat will almost certainly cause the engine to run hot. You need to re-install the thermostat and get all of the air out of the cooling system. You may have a defective cooling temperature sensor. If you have a laser temperature gun, you can point it at the sensor to get a better idea of what temperature its seeing - https://www.harborfreight.com/search...perature%20gun

Quick Reply: Acceleration issues