2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Acceleration issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:18 PM
needzhelp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration issues

I’m having issues when I give it gas just don’t seem to want to get up to speed don’t have a clue we’re to start tried ready on here no luck some one give me like a check list I can start with

Old 05-23-2022, 08:31 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Has any maintenance been done on this truck at all? What year, make, model and type of engine/transmission truck are you referring to? Is the check engine light on? If so, has it been scanned for any codes?

Old 05-23-2022, 08:43 PM
needzhelp
Default Reply

I did the plugs and wires yesterday it’s a v8 I bought it last week ram 1500 2001 it sat for years befor I got it it has 129000 miles and no check engine light sorry I know nothing about working on vehicles but I am capable so any help would be great

Old 05-23-2022, 08:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Was the truck running well before you changed the spark plugs and wires? What type of spark plugs did you install? These trucks tend to run well on basic copper plugs and not as well using other types of plugs (platinum, etc.). Is the motor a 5.2 magnum or a 5.9 magnum?

Old 05-23-2022, 08:54 PM
needzhelp
Default Reply

No it was still really sluggish before the change used Ngk plugs it’s the 5.2

Old 05-23-2022, 09:07 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

First off, if you are smelling gas, there is likely a leak somewhere. Start the truck, open the hood and closely inspect the fuel lines and fuel rails while the truck is running. You might also want to check to determine what the fuel pressure is at the injectors, as there should be a port on the fuel rail to connect a fuel pressure test gauge.

Since the truck has been sitting for a while, it's likely in need of basic maintenance. In addition to the spark plugs and spark plug wire changes, you should also consider replacing the distributor cap and rotor. Another item that could be contributing to your acceleration issue is a plugged up catalytic converter and/or a blown intake plenum gasket. You can check for a bad catalytic converter by temporarily removing the upstream O2 sensor and see if the truck revs up any better than before. You can check for a bad intake plenum gasket by looking down the intake throttle body (blades fully open) with a flashlight to see if any oil is pooling at the bottom of the intake manifold (see this link for more information - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html). Lastly, a new timing chain is likely needed at some point, too. The replacement should be a good double roller timing chain and gear set.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:15 PM
needzhelp

Ok that’s were I’ll start I do wanna say that the motor revs fine it seems it’s just when I take off and drive when you notice the lack of power

Old 05-23-2022, 10:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Is it starting off in second gear?? Is the check engine lite on??

Old 05-23-2022, 11:35 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

One last item - does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to 'on', then go off once the engine is started? I ask, as sometimes a prior owner will have removed the check engine light bulb.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:46 AM
needzhelp

[
starts off in first no engine light

QUOTE=HeyYou;3544601]Is it starting off in second gear?? Is the check engine lite on??[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Acceleration issues