2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 dodge ram tranny problems🙃🙃🙃

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 10:33 PM
XxhornsterxX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dodge ram tranny problems🙃🙃🙃

I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport 5.9l 46re transmission I used a transmission out of a 98 with a 5.2l small V8 that had a 46 re in it 2 wheel drive I switched tail shafts everything booked up correctly I used my 5.9 torque converter as well and my governor pressure sensor and solenoid my issue is that I'm still not getting overdrive it shifts 1 thru 3 perfect but at 50mph my computer says the governor is commanding 127psi but the actual psi is only 50 what an I overlooking it is it the solenoids ...

Old 06-11-2022, 11:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

More than likely what you swapped was the Overdrive unit...... They are somewhat different between two, and four wheel drive. So, if it was bad originally, it still is.

Are you getting any codes? The discrepancy in pressures SHOULD set at least one......

Old 06-11-2022, 12:43 PM
XxhornsterxX

Originally Posted by HeyYou
More than likely what you swapped was the Overdrive unit...... They are somewhat different between two, and four wheel drive. So, if it was bad originally, it still is.

Are you getting any codes? The discrepancy in pressures SHOULD set at least one......
No I'm not getting any codes although I did over look the fact that the truck was not fully disengaged from 4 wheel drive as well as I did not replace the governor pressure sensor or solenoid ... I may have explained wrong above both the 4x4 and the 2wd were shot (bought 2wd transmission for parts and found out it was just as bad ) so I got a rebuild kit and swapped out overdrive unit everything bolted up great ... I take that back I was getting pressure sensor code but that was due to shorted wires to my neutral safety switch I have already fixed that

Last edited by XxhornsterxX; 06-11-2022 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 06-11-2022, 01:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I might be tempted to screw a mechanical gauge into the trans, and see if that gauge agrees with what the pressure sensor is telling the PCM.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:01 PM
XxhornsterxX
Default Hey you

So why I did today is replaced the governor pressure sensor and solenoid with new ones and noticed that the steel plate that held the only sensor in the valve body wouldn't fit the solenoid for 99 so I changed that and now just waiting on the parts store to bring me transmission fluid but I will definitely do the manual pressure test thank you

Old 06-11-2022, 03:15 PM
XxhornsterxX
Default Hey you

So why I did today is replaced the governor pressure sensor and solenoid with new ones and noticed that the steel plate that held the only sensor in the valve body wouldn't fit the solenoid for 99 so I changed that and now just waiting on the parts store to bring me transmission fluid but I will definitely do the manual pressure test thank you

Old 06-11-2022, 05:00 PM
XxhornsterxX
Default Update

Governor pressure sensor and solenoid changed filled with fluid now it's got very erratic shifting waves to start out in 3rd can manually shift to first but it like skips second gear when I manual shift to second then no over drive with an error code that says governor pressure sol/relay circuit I suppose if there is another thread that explains this problem I'm just about to lose my mind I've gotten almost 3000 in this truck trying to get it back running again I've done everything I can think of idk if I'm overlooking something or what

Old 06-11-2022, 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Recheck fluid level. Be sure to check it in neutral. Checking in park gives an artificially high reading.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:48 PM
XxhornsterxX

I was checking in neutral I did notice that after I left for lunch and came back it was 3 or 4 quarts low I'm gonna take a break for the day is 95 where I'm located today and the humidity is killer here south eastern Kansas 🙃 but I will double check everything thank you

Quick Reply: 99 dodge ram tranny problems🙃🙃🙃