2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine Light - Poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,365 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Wonder if they have the wrong year electronics in the trans, and the resistor was installed to compensate for that..... Would be interesting to drop the trans pan, and check the shape of the governor pressure sensor connector.

Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 PM
Paul12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wonder if they have the wrong year electronics in the trans, and the resistor was installed to compensate for that..... Would be interesting to drop the trans pan, and check the shape of the governor pressure sensor connector.
So you have to remove the trans pan to check the sensor? Are there spare parts available? I haven't found one at rockauto and I need a store which is shipping to Germany.
Is it maybe another eletrical issue as wiring problem? Can I check this and the sensor somehow?

I think it's a little bit strange that there are so many electrical related problems. Another example is that my blower motor isn't doing anything. Maybe it's just because of old and broken parts....but so many eletrical problems? I think about a main issue.... But a bad ground or something like that wouldn't cause those problems, right?

Old 08-08-2022, 07:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There are multiple ground points in the system. Having wiring diagrams for your truck, and seeing if any of the failing systems have something in common is a good place to start. If you don't have a service manual for your truck yet, get one here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8w. (in english though..... which you seem to do pretty well at.)

If you have a scanner that can read live data, it might be interesting to see what the PCM thinks trans temp is, and if that reading seems reasonable to you.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:34 AM
Paul12

So I just wanted to share a little update.

What I did:
Cleaned the grounding points & checked the wires
Removed & checked every relay
Removed the aftermarket remote control system
Cleaned the throttle body & the sensors (some were pretty dirty)
Changed the gaskets below and in top of the throttle body
Ohmed out the injectors (they are around 13.8 to 13.9 / 14 Ohm) so I'm not sure if that's in spec but because every injector is around 13.8 Ohm I think it should be okay?
Checked the fuel pressure and the fuel pump is definitly bad....if you turn the ignition on you get around 10 psi so you have to turn the ignition 3x to start the engine. If the car's running I got around 40 psi. If I rev it up it want fall under 30psi. If I shut the car off the pressure immediately drops to zero. So that's definitly a problem. Just a bad fuel pump or any other parts to think about? The fuel regulator valve is on top of the fuel pump, right? So I change this with the pump.
But could a bad fuel pump cause p0201?

One interesting thing about the fault codes: The p0158 and p0141/0161 thing did not came back. So is p0711. But now it throws p0152... I'm so confused.

What I also found out yesterday is that the spark plugs are pretty pretty bad. Especially the spark plugs of the cylinders with the fault codes. But I think the p0204 causes the bad spark plug on cylinder 4 or is it possible that a bad spark plug cause p0204?

....interesting journey over here.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:14 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

P0152 2/1 O2 Sensor Shorted to Voltage
P0204 Injector #4 Control Circuit
You are still getting shorted 02 codes, Check the wires and the 02's for a short. If nothing is found i would thing it's time for a new pcm. There is nothing to injector control circuit as i explained earlier. If you have continuity from the pcm plug to the injector plug that's about all there is unless it's a internal problem. But if one of the 02 is shorted to voltage feeding 12v where 5v should be is not good and possibly could cause some other issues. Resolve the 02 short issue and see what happens.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:01 PM
Paul12

So I was not sure if I should start a new thread....but I'm still working on these old problems so....

What I did:
I checked and rebuild the whole wiring harness from the fuse box to the pcm & engine. We changed all 4 o2 sensors, replaced the plenum with an aluminium plate, replaced all gaskets, new ignition cab, new spark plugs & wires, new thermostat &&&
The car sounds amazing! BUT: After you drive a while there's still a check engine light. P0152 P0161 Oxygen Sensor 2 Bank 2....
I have no idea what could cause this problem. Maybe it's because of the california emission? I realised that my truck is build in 99 but it's a model 2000. (Tell this a guy in a german car part store....they won't believe you haha ) Maybe I have a wrong sensor? If I get it right, the bank 2 sensor 2 is just present in california emission trucks, right? Is there someone who can tell me which part number is right please?!
It's a 2000 5.9 California Emission Extended Cab Short Bed.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have a scanner that can read live data?

I wonder if the first code isn't being caused by the second.... possible.... but, not sure if that is actually the case. Verify the sensor is getting it's 12 volts on the heater circuit, and it has a good ground?

Do you have a service manual for your truck?

Old 10-18-2022, 04:02 AM
Paul12

Yeah I have a scanner that can read live data. What data should I look at? Ground is good. Have to check for 12 volts but I don't think that's the problem. There are different o2 codes for the same sensor all the time.
Maybe it's the sensor. Where can I find the part number for the california emission?

I habe a service manual, yes.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

See what Bank 2 sensor 2 is doing. How long it takes for it to start doing anything.....

I don't think the scanner will show heater voltage..... but, I've been wrong before. Still, might need to test that manually. (crawl under the truck, and test at the connector.)

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Poor gas mileage