2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen Ram 1500 Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The off road edition had the 2" lift. No lift on Sport models, unless they were also "off road edition" models. I don't know if the two packages were mutually exclusive, or not.

The following users liked this post:
N. M. (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 08:54 PM
N. M.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re-centering Axle

I found this from 2014 HeyYou posted it; just reposting for the community:
Park the truck on a level surface. Tire pointed STRAIGHT. (we care about the tires, NOT the steering wheel.)

Measure from the outside of the tire, to the fender. (see how far it sticks out/is recessed, depending on which side.)

Adjust track bar to center axle.

Adjust drag link to center steering.

Enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
Moonpie (09-15-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:15 PM
N. M.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update // 2nd Gen Ram Suspension Problem

I thought to provide an update to my previous post. So additionally I replaced the track bar, tie rods, drag link, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, and replaced steering wheel gearbox so everything is back to OEM stock, and the wobbling on the driver side is still there. There is no vibration on the steering wheel though. The wobbling starts after 45 mph and I can feel it as it starts from the driver side wheel area and travels to the floor and end up to under the driver seat. Sometimes the wobbling stays under the floor area and sometimes by the wheel area. After I replaced the steering gearbox, the steering wheel is now leaning to the left because the driver side wheel/tire is off by almost an inch to two inches.

Is it possible that the wobbling is caused by a misaligned or out of balance axle driveshaft or its cross joint? (This is the only part that hasn’t been replaced so far).
How an axle can be re-centered if the track bar is not adjustable?
See how the driver side driveshaft sticks out by at least a quarter inch.

Old 11-14-2022, 03:15 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by N. M.
is it possible that the wobbling is caused by a misaligned or out of balance axle driveshaft or its cross joint? (This is the only part that hasn’t been replaced so far).
How an axle can be re-centered if the track bar is not adjustable?
See how the driver side driveshaft sticks out by at least a quarter inch.

So not to get confused on parts, those are axle shafts. Driveshaft is between the transmission and axle housing.
And judging by the pictures, U-joints seem to be in ok condition, there is no rust or sign of wear. But you can use pry bar or big screw driver to look for any play from the U-joints. And axle shafts seem to stick out roughly the same amount, which is irrelevant in this case anyway. You really can't bend an axle shaft in normal use.

Only easy way to center the axle is to use adjustable track bar. And preferably 3rd gen style. I noticed with the 2,5" leveling kit and stock bar that the frame side balljoint on the track bar was quite much off from it's operating angle, and it wore out quite quickly. I had a Luke's Link so I could adjust the slack out, but there was only so much you could adjust it, until the ball and socket wore to the point they were no longer round.

You might want to hunt down the wobble by swithcing the front left tire with the right rear. Cause of wobble might be as simple as a bad tire.

Last edited by HeikIlm; 11-14-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Are you still running the 2.5" suspension lift? I'm not sure this is the problem but wanted to clarify.

If you're not feeling the shake in the steering wheel I'd seriously question if the problem is in the front axle or steering at all.

I'm also wondering about tire balance, but I'd suspect a rear tire again if it doesn't transmit through the steering wheel.

Could also be rear driveshaft or maybe front d/s but if your CAD is working the front d/s shouldn't really spin in 2hi.

With a suspension lift operating angles of the d/s's are increased. I wonder about rear pinion angle?? Incorrect d/s angle could definitely present with rumbling, growling or shaking above a certain speed. Tired or dry u-joints could exacerbate the problem.

Does the truck still pull to the right when braking hard? This symptom wouldn't fit but might be a separate issue.

And I've never heard of or experienced bad front axleshaft u-joints causing your issues

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Ram 1500 Suspension Problem