2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen Ram 1500 Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 06:52 PM
N. M.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd Gen Ram 1500 Suspension Problem

I have a 1999 ram 1500 4WD sport. It needed some TLC. So I took it to a shop and spent quite a bit. Long story short I gained a new set of problems after the repairs with most alarming is the suspension problem. My truck originally had a 3.5 inch body lift; removed in favor of 2.5 inch Rough Country suspension lift.

New are:

Upper and lower control arms (both sides).

2.5 inch Rough Country kit which included new struts (all four).

New body mounts.

New sway bar links (front both sides).

New tires all four.

New rotors pads, drums, and shoes. (I replaced front rotors and pads myself less a thousand miles ago.)

New alignment.

On the advice of the technician I didn’t need to replace the ball joints because they were intact.

Problem after repairs:

Doors are misaligned. Truck starts shaking after 40 mph speed and drifts to the right. Passenger side sway bar end link is not sitting correctly. Upon inspection, I noticed driver side link is longer and skinnier, Passenger side link shorter, bulkier, and not sitting correctly. (See picture below).

Took it back to the shop and showed them the pictures. 3 days later I was told it’s fixed and after receiving the truck back, it still shakes and drifts to the right. I inspected the links again and now the passenger side is worse although they put new longer links to compensate for the 2.5 inch lift. Driving on the highway, the truck drifts to the right, hard brake makes the truck drift more as if there’s a huge load on the passenger side. I even swapped front wheels to see if the tires or wheels causing it but it’s not.

Is it possible that the new body mounts are actually causing the doors misalignment and the shake and drift or is it the sway bar link?

Pictures:

The first set shows first time repairs.

Second set is second time repairs.

I appreciate any advice or if anyone experienced the same. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:15 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd measure if your axle is centered. I doubt it is unless they gave you an adjustable track bar

The following users liked this post:
N. M. (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yeah, axle is pushed to the drivers side. If body lines aren't right, I would be lookin' at the install of the replacement bushings.....

Old 09-12-2022, 10:50 PM
N. M.

Than you both, HeyYou and Captain. I see the adjustable sleeves so I’m guessing I do have adjustable track. I also forgot to mention that I replaced the steering stabilizer.
BTW, Since day one I bought this truck, the driver side tire sticks out by inch and a half. Prior to these repairs and when I had the 3.5 inch body lift, I had the wobble but didn’t have the drifting to the right. I’m guessing to center the axle has to be done by a shop, what does that entail? Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:56 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Centering the axle is just done with a tape measure. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close.

I'm not sure this is causing your pulling but should be corrected regardless

N. M. (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check the track bar, the one that goes from the passenger side of the axle itself, up to the frame on the drivers side. It's likely a single piece...... so, not adjustable. That is the part that holds the axle side to side. You need an adjustable variety if you axle is way off. (and if you need to change out the one you have, go for the third gen style track bar conversion. MUCH better design.)

The axle being off center likely has the steering box being off center as well.... and the tolerances aren't quite as tight off center, so, you end up with some wander.

N. M. (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 08:19 PM
N. M.

I believe you’re correct, HeyYou; I don’t think I have adjustable track. I just saw somewhere here that the Sport edition comes with a factory lift of 2 or 3 inches but I can’t find the thread to confirm. Thanks to you and everyone one else with these posts, I’ve learned quite a bit.

so my next question is, assuming the truck has a factory 2 inch lift and I just added a 2.5 suspension lift, does that mean I have 4.5 inch lift? If I remove the 2.5 inch RC lift, would the axle re-center itself?

Old 09-13-2022, 08:26 PM
N. M.

Which bushings, the bushings of the sway bar end links? If so, the shop did that thinking they are fixing the problem. I’m just have to come to peace with it that the shop just took all my money and screwed up my truck big time.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:55 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by N. M.
I believe you’re correct, HeyYou; I don’t think I have adjustable track. I just saw somewhere here that the Sport edition comes with a factory lift of 2 or 3 inches but I can’t find the thread to confirm. Thanks to you and everyone one else with these posts, I’ve learned quite a bit.

so my next question is, assuming the truck has a factory 2 inch lift and I just added a 2.5 suspension lift, does that mean I have 4.5 inch lift? If I remove the 2.5 inch RC lift, would the axle re-center itself?
Yes, if you remove the RC lift your axle will return to where ever it was from the factory....BUT an adjustable track bar is not difficult to obtain or install. If you want to keep the lift, "We have the technology."

You might try finding a reputable aftermarket Jeep shop. Ever since the TJ was introduced in '97 they do nothing but install lifts and adjustable track bars all day every day. I centered the axles on my JL with a tape measure, it's definitely not rocket science.....once you actually have the adjustable track bar

Old 09-13-2022, 10:57 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by N. M.
Which bushings, the bushings of the sway bar end links? If so, the shop did that thinking they are fixing the problem. I’m just have to come to peace with it that the shop just took all my money and screwed up my truck big time.
I believe the sway bar end links look intoxicated because your axle is not centered. They have to lean to compensate.

N. M. (09-14-2022)

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Ram 1500 Suspension Problem