2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronics Electrical Nightmare Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 07:09 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Did you set the fuel sync? Have you put a timing light on it to see if it's the ignition causing the issue? Did you use all the old sensors after the motor was rebuilt?

Old 10-12-2022, 01:39 PM
TimoH
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the reset as stated above. Same results.
In response to Moparite, the fuel sync is eye balled, I would imagine it is -2 to 8 degrees which is in tolerance. The ignition is controlled by the PCM thus, one of the reasons I need a digital oscope. Yes, the sensors were replaced after rebuild.
I ordered a Picoscope, which was less than $200. I am sure with the new tool I can isolate the faulty wire, connector, and/or component.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:21 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

I understand the pcm controls the timing but if you have a timing light on it you can see what the timing is doing.
You may want to look at it again, #1 TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE it should look like this...

Old 10-14-2022, 06:04 PM
TimoH
Amateur

I opened another thread, some may have seen looking for a MT2500 Snap On Scanner. I was able to locate and buy one of those. Waiting for shipping now. I think at that point I can check the advance like mentioned above and hopefully find a bad part or at least get in the right area. I cancelled the order on the Picoscope. It was going to be 3 weeks out anyhow. Hopefully I can get some info and the MT2500 will be useful. Thanks for the help.
I think the manuals are all there for the mt2500 so that should be helpful. The cartridges might be the trick but, until I get there I don't know. I will update when I get the scanner.

Does anyone know if these cartridges are correct for the 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Gas?

Last edited by TimoH; 10-14-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,244 Likes on 2,993 Posts

Maybe..... I *think* they will also handle OBDI, but, it's been a few years since a played with one. I don't recall how the cartridges were labeled.

Have the right personality key, and adapter is the big part of it as well.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:14 PM
TimoH
Amateur

Yes, I know for sure it will handle the obd1 with the cartridges. I think Chrysler and Dodge were one in the same balance sheet so I am hoping the Ram is under the Chrysler tab. From what I have read here on the forum the 13 and 13a personality keys hook up for the ob2 which would cover 1996 and later depending on the cartridge. I am hopeful about this scanner. Cant wait to post some info on what I learn in the process here. I would have never knew about the mt2500 if you would not have mentioned it.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,244 Likes on 2,993 Posts

Yeah, not many folks support OBDI any more...... and the tools to do so are becoming fun to find... Prices have come down a bit.... but, not very much.

I used the MT2500 when I was doin' the wrench turnin' thing for a living. It isn't as fancy as some of the newer stuff, but, it gets the job done.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:12 AM
elbertmourino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't remember the emissions setup on the older 2500s but the sucking noise could also be a stuck vent valve or EGR os something along those lines. Also, did you check fuel pressure ? Sounds like you're having lean pops.

Last edited by elbertmourino; 10-16-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:15 PM
TimoH
Amateur

Reply to Elbert M
It does have an EGR. I check for leak. None. The sucking noise is the IAC. Fuel pressure is great and leak down is good (replace fuel pump because fuel line was 22-25 and is not 38-40 and also cleaned the injectors and tested the impedence).

Old 10-26-2022, 06:19 PM
TimoH
Amateur

First off, thanks to all those who encouraged and helped me find a scanner. Yah for MT2500.
Second, on to the diagnosis. I did the hard reset as mentioned above. I hooked everything up and it all checked out good. The crankshaft sensor was "Yes." I started the truck and it ran as it should. Throttle worked fine ...no sucking noise...no afterfire, and so. I got into the truck and engaged the transmission (automatic 46RH) into drive and it stalled. I went back to the scanner. Crankshaft position "NO." Everything else was ok but, that is the issue.
I looked at the wiring diagram and it has to be mechanical problem with that metal plate and the sensor. Electronics don't just turn on and off. They either work or they don't work.

Theories" The crankshaft sensor is bent (yes, it was installed before I put the engine in. I know in the future never put the crankshaft position sensor in before you install the engine) . The crankshaft sensor is too close to that metal plate and when the transmission engages it rubs.
I am going to order a new sensor and I will keep you guys posted. In the meantime, I am going to check all the wiring and connectors related to the CrankSensor. If I find it great, if that is not the problem, the new sensor is on the way.

Last edited by TimoH; 10-26-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Electronics Electrical Nightmare Help Me