2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Popping When Turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 02:24 AM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Completely understand. The 3rd gen track bar upgrade requires the use of a conversion bracket. If your truck is lifted, it may be a good idea to look for an adjustable track bar, so that the length can be optimized to properly center your front axle.

I use this 3rd gen style adjustable track bar and conversion bracket and have been very happy with it - http://www.solidsteel.biz/trackbars.htm. It will likely outlast the truck and the only thing that can go bad on it are the bushings, which are replaceable.
I did some digging and found what appear to be 2 very good options. I found the solid steel kit here https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...rofit-kit.html Then, while searching for that kit, I found this one from DOR https://store.dodgeoffroad.com/DOR-H...-to-3_p_9.html Prices are comparable between them both, but I'm leaning towards the DOR kit. I like the fact that it uses a Johnny Joint at the axle end, and I'm not going to be using a Mag-Hytec diff cover, so the clearance won't be a concern there. I've got the Dana 44 front axle, and I don't think they even make a Mag-Hytec for the Dana 44. I don't use the truck off-road enough to justify putting the Dana 70 in there.

Now all that's left is to confirm that the track bar is the culprit and then cry when I order the kit lol Thank You AtomicDog and HeyYou

Old 11-18-2022, 07:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Redneck
I did some digging and found what appear to be 2 very good options. I found the solid steel kit here https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...rofit-kit.html Then, while searching for that kit, I found this one from DOR https://store.dodgeoffroad.com/DOR-H...-to-3_p_9.html Prices are comparable between them both, but I'm leaning towards the DOR kit. I like the fact that it uses a Johnny Joint at the axle end, and I'm not going to be using a Mag-Hytec diff cover, so the clearance won't be a concern there. I've got the Dana 44 front axle, and I don't think they even make a Mag-Hytec for the Dana 44. I don't use the truck off-road enough to justify putting the Dana 70 in there.

Now all that's left is to confirm that the track bar is the culprit and then cry when I order the kit lol Thank You AtomicDog and HeyYou
Google DOR they have a horrible reputation

Old 11-18-2022, 12:36 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Glad you found the appropriate link. The DOR bar uses heim joints which don't flex at all and can have a pretty harsh feeling in the cab of the truck to the occupants. I went with the Solid Steel bar since it uses poly bushings on each end. Since I drive the truck on the roads as a hauling/towing vehicle, I like the shock absorbance and durability these poly bushings provide. I have a spare set of the bushings in my tool box, however, I doubt that I will ever need to replace them.

The following users liked this post:
Kentucky Fried Redneck (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:47 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Glad you found the appropriate link. The DOR bar uses heim joints which don't flex at all and can have a pretty harsh feeling in the cab of the truck to the occupants. I went with the Solid Steel bar since it uses poly bushings on each end. Since I drive the truck on the roads as a hauling/towing vehicle, I like the shock absorbance and durability these poly bushings provide. I have a spare set of the bushings in my tool box, however, I doubt that I will ever need to replace them.
Thanks for the heads up on DOR. I haven't had a chance to research them much yet. I did notice that their stuff says "Extended Build Time - Ships When Ready, ETA Varies" which kinda bothered me a little. That's when I decided I was going to look into them more. I tried to get a video of what was going on under there just a few minutes ago because the wife wants to be 100% certain before dropping $500+ on a fix lol. I can't say I blame her, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the video to upload. I tried to send it to myself via email and it failed, I tried to upload it to youtube and it failed, I'm going to try editing it and see if that helps.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:27 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

If desired, you can also create a free account on Dropbox.com, upload the video to that site, make it shareable and provide a link to the video in your reply.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:41 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

I got it working, I just shortened it up. I posted the link under my original comment. Here it is again if this is easier.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

I got it working, I just shortened it up. I posted the link under my original comment. Here it is again if this is easier. https://youtube.com/shorts/t-IFfZ_NUBU?feature=share
Near the end you can see the axle side track bar bushing eyelet appear and disappear within the axle bracket. Could be as simple as a worn/corroded/rusted bolt there that is no longer round (since you said the track bar is new)

edit: axle brackets could be ovalized. I couldn't tell if the bolt was sliding left/right as it was mostly obscured by tie rod & drag link

Last edited by Keith_L; 11-18-2022 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:20 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on DOR. I haven't had a chance to research them much yet. I did notice that their stuff says "Extended Build Time - Ships When Ready, ETA Varies" which kinda bothered me a little. That's when I decided I was going to look into them more. I tried to get a video of what was going on under there just a few minutes ago because the wife wants to be 100% certain before dropping $500+ on a fix lol. I can't say I blame her, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the video to upload. I tried to send it to myself via email and it failed, I tried to upload it to youtube and it failed, I'm going to try editing it and see if that helps.
Also, while the 3rd gen track bar is a nice upgrade, you're also trying to cure a common cold with a heavy dose of antibiotics and steroids.

IOW your problem is simple and your proposed solution is sweeping.

Upgrade because you want to upgrade, not because of a minor and repairable nuisance

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Near the end you can see the axle side track bar bushing eyelet appear and disappear within the axle bracket. Could be as simple as a worn/corroded/rusted bolt there that is no longer round (since you said the track bar is new)

edit: axle brackets could be ovalized. I couldn't tell if the bolt was sliding left/right as it was mostly obscured by tie rod & drag link
May just need to tighten the bolt......

Old 11-18-2022, 06:42 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Damn! I don't know how I didn't see that movement at that damn bolt. I'll take a look there and see if I can figure out what's creating the source of the movement. THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: Popping When Turning