2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Popping When Turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 07:07 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Popping When Turning

Hey everyone, 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4. When you turn the wheel to the left the thing pops and you feel it in the floorboards under your feet on the driver's side. I've shaken down the front end and everything feels tight. I replaced the axle shaft seals, axle u-joints, track bar, swaybar bushings, sway bar links, upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, etc. about 6-8 months ago. The popping started within the last month or so, and we don't drive it a whole lot. When I got under there to look and see if I could pinpoint what was moving, I noticed the whole front axle moves from side to side a little when turning the wheel, and it shifts the shocks/springs, the front drive shaft, and everything. It's not a huge shift, but it does move. Is that normal? Or do I have a really bad day coming? Any help y'all can provide is appreciated, I'm out of ideas.

Here's a quick video I did while my wife was in the truck turning the wheel.

Last edited by Kentucky Fried Redneck; 11-18-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added Video Link
Old 11-17-2022, 07:39 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I'd take a really good look at the wheel bearing on that side. Try jacking up the driver's side front wheel and see if you can get any movement out of the driver's side front wheel by putting your hands at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock positions. Push the top and pull on the bottom. If you feel movement, it is likely time to replace the wheel bearing on that side. Another thing to check is to have another person turn the wheel from side to side while someone else gets up under the truck to see what's moving/loose. Also look closely at the control arm bushings and the track bar.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:30 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

I did that, I jacked up the front end and shook both driver and passenger tires up/down and left/right. Aside from steering gearbox play, there was no movement. I had my wife in the truck turning the wheel while I was underneath and that's when I discovered the whole front axle moving.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Track bar?

Dry balljoints will pop and creak too.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:24 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

replaced the track bar and all 4 ball joints. this isn't a ball joint type of pop, it's almost like something is binding up, then popping as it breaks loose. you can feel it in the floorboard, and the front bumper when I was underneath and had a hand on the bumper, and you can hear it loud and clear. This is a new one for me lol

Old 11-17-2022, 11:58 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

If the whole front axle is moving, I'd suspect an issue with the track bar. Did you replace the track bar with another 2nd factory style track bar or did you upgrade to a 3rd gen style track bar? The ball joint end of the 2nd gen style track bar isn't the most durable joint and if its a budget track bar, this could be the issue.

The following users liked this post:
Kentucky Fried Redneck (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:05 AM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

I will take a closer look at that track bar. It is a 2nd gen track bar. I didn't know we could put a 3rd gen on there. Yes, it's a "budget-friendly" part I got from Detroit Axle. I typically only go with moog for steering and suspension, but money was tight when I get hit with that last repair that required pretty much a front-end overhaul.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:09 AM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
If the whole front axle is moving, I'd suspect an issue with the track bar. Did you replace the track bar with another 2nd factory style track bar or did you upgrade to a 3rd gen style track bar? The ball joint end of the 2nd gen style track bar isn't the most durable joint and if its a budget track bar, this could be the issue.
What year in the 3rd gen do I need to look for to get that track bar?

Old 11-18-2022, 12:10 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Completely understand. The 3rd gen track bar upgrade requires the use of a conversion bracket. If your truck is lifted, it may be a good idea to look for an adjustable track bar, so that the length can be optimized to properly center your front axle.

I use this 3rd gen style adjustable track bar and conversion bracket and have been very happy with it - http://www.solidsteel.biz/trackbars.htm. It will likely outlast the truck and the only thing that can go bad on it are the bushings, which are replaceable.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:14 AM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Completely understand. The 3rd gen track bar upgrade requires the use of a conversion bracket. If your truck is lifted, it may be a good idea to look for an adjustable track bar, so that the length can be optimized to properly center your front axle.

I use this 3rd gen style adjustable track bar and conversion bracket and have been very happy with it - http://www.solidsteel.biz/trackbars.htm. It will likely outlast the truck and the only thing that can go bad on it are the bushings, which are replaceable.
Thanks for the info, unfortunately, that link doesn't work. I'll look and see what I can find for the conversion bracket and track bar

Quick Reply: Popping When Turning