2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Curious - are any 2nd gen trucks affected by the Takarta air bag recall?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 11:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Lightbulb Curious - are any 2nd gen trucks affected by the Takarta air bag recall?

I'm curious as to what type of driver's side air bag is used in the Dodge Ram 2nd gen trucks - are the trucks so old that Dodge had them opted out as part of the 'negotiations' or do they not use Takarta air bags at all? Does anyone know?

Old 12-20-2022, 03:28 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

No Takata bag on '95. Besides safety warnings, these are only numbers that identify the bag, but not the manufcturer. What I looked up from interwebs, affected bags clearly say Takata on the sticker.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:18 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Question

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
No Takata bag on '95. Besides safety warnings, these are only numbers that identify the bag, but not the manufcturer. What I looked up from interwebs, affected bags clearly say Takata on the sticker.

Interesting. Was that truck made in the US/Mexico/Canada or somewhere else?

Old 12-20-2022, 04:23 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

It's made in Mexico.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:26 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Thanks for the update on the 1995 model you have.

Anyone else have any updates/thoughts on this?

Old 12-20-2022, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

If you are concerned about your airbags, The manufacturer offers a site to enter your vin, to see if there are any open recalls on it. Have a look here.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:17 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Thanks for the link. I checked the site and all recalls and vehicle campaigns were completed by the prior owner(s). None appeared to be air bag related, however, some of the recalls were so old that there were no longer details about them that could be reviewed.

I still have some concern over the air bag. Since this truck is 26 years old, I feel that this truck may be left off the potential recall list due to its age, as the recall campaigns are typically negotiated affairs between NHTSA and the auto manufacturers.

I'd still like to know who makes the air bags in our trucks and/or if they were possibly made with better quality materials back in those years that aren't prone to creating shrapnel when they deploy.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The Takata air bags had issues with the inflators. Takata cheaped out, and used an ammonium nitrate based 'gas generator'. Trouble is, as it ages, it becomes somewhat less than stable, and it's explosive properties change. That is what makes them deadly. They blow apart the container they are in, and its basically a little grenade, right in front of the driver.... Other manufacturers didn't use that particular chemical, and their inflators are FAR more reliable. So far as I know, not a single one has failed, in any fashion. They just work.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:41 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The Takata air bags had issues with the inflators. Takata cheaped out, and used an ammonium nitrate based 'gas generator'. Trouble is, as it ages, it becomes somewhat less than stable, and it's explosive properties change. That is what makes them deadly. They blow apart the container they are in, and its basically a little grenade, right in front of the driver.... Other manufacturers didn't use that particular chemical, and their inflators are FAR more reliable. So far as I know, not a single one has failed, in any fashion. They just work.
Thanks for the additional information. It would still be nice to know who makes the air bags for the 2nd gen trucks.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Thanks for the additional information. It would still be nice to know who makes the air bags for the 2nd gen trucks.
Likely sourced from more than one manufacturer... Wonder if the Dodge parts department could tell you......

Quick Reply: Curious - are any 2nd gen trucks affected by the Takarta air bag recall?