2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 08:28 PM
alexl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE leak

Hey folks,

I purchased a ‘98 2wd 1500, if had a transmission failure. Once I got it home and pulled the transmission I found the torque converter had seized to the bushing and hilarity ensued. Installed all new pump, torque converter and went ahead and did a rebuild while I was in it. First time in a transmission bit followed the transmission bench.com videos and feel pretty good about it. Got the transmission back installed and thrilled it has all gears including lockup. However, after a short drive I noticed the bottom of the bell housing was wet, uh oh! I let it idle in neutral for a good half hour in the driveway and no drips! Cleaned off the bell housing and went on another short drive, once again, oil on the bell housing.

Really hoping I don’t have to putt it again. any thoughts on why it’s not dripping while parked but is while driving?

Old 05-07-2023, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The torque converter isn't charged in park..... It is in neutral, or any drive gear though. Did you install the front seal dry? That'll smoke 'em in short order.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:44 PM
alexl

by parked I mean in neutral with wheels chocked, had it that way 30+ minutes with no drips.

i lubed up the hub of the converter with plenty of Transjel when I assembled.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The torque converter isn't charged in park..... It is in neutral, or any drive gear though. Did you install the front seal dry? That'll smoke 'em in short order.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull the inspection plate. See if you can see where it's coming from. As I recall, the internal vent is just above the torque converter hub as well. If you had it a bit overfilled, then yeah, it'll drip when it gets hot.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:05 PM
alexl

good call, I did 12 quarts in neutral to get it to the middle, but perhaps it was just a bit too much. I’ll get my flex camera up in there to see if there’s evidence.

Pull the inspection plate. See if you can see where it's coming from. As I recall, the internal vent is just above the torque converter hub as well. If you had it a bit overfilled, then yeah, it'll drip when it gets hot.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:53 AM
alexl

On second thought, I think I’ll drill a 3/8 hole in the bell housing behind the converter so I can stick my camera up there while it’s running or driving if necessary and really see what might be going on. Easy enough to put a grommet in the hole

Old 05-08-2023, 05:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Are you willing to sacrifice your camera to the odd gods of quickly rotating parts?

Old 05-09-2023, 12:29 AM
alexl

just an el-cheapo usb camera. In any case, got the inspection cover off and can’t find any smoking guns. No puddles of fluid collecting, perhaps some degree of “wetness”, but difficult to tell with shadows. Hoping what I am seeing is just a bit of residual fluid from the previous catastrophic pump failure. In any case, it’s not bad enough to warrant dropping the transmission again at this point. This is just a periodic gopher truck to the home center and garden/landscape center anyway. Adding a quart a month wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Will monitor and do something if it gets worse.

Are you willing to sacrifice your camera to the odd gods of quickly rotating parts?

Old 05-09-2023, 04:40 PM
alexl

Got some better photos this afternoon. Sound the “stream” of fluid after a drive. Weird thing is, it’s Not at the bottom, it’s one bolt boss up on the passenger side of the bell housing. Also can’t see evidence that fluid is being thrown against that side from the torque converter. Not directly below the seal or vent, any thoughts?

Old 05-09-2023, 04:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, its definitely trans fluid, so it has to be coming from the trans somewhere..... Is the trans over-filled? (check fluid in neutral please.)

Quick Reply: 46RE leak