2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 08:34 PM
oddone
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally got the crank sensor swapped out and the guy that did it did some digging around and still getting no pulse or power to coil when cranking thinks it could be either the pick up under distributor cap or possible pcm just can't figure this thing out. was running great then all of sudden would crank no start on occasion it would start and when it did it ran great last sensor i put in truck ran like absolute crap then died now it is back to crank no start even after replacing sensor i am curious if a pcm out of a similar year truck will work or what might i try to be able to figure this stupid thing out i can't afford to sink a bunch of money into it and can't afford to replace it so i'm kinda in a pickle

Old 09-10-2023, 07:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Sensor under the cap has nothing to do with ignition. It's just for injector timing.

Does your fuel pump prime? Do you see 12 volts at the coil at initial key on for about 3 seconds?

Old 09-10-2023, 09:05 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Sensor under the cap has nothing to do with ignition.
Wrong! With no input from the cam sensor the pcm doesn't know where the engine is and can't fire the coil or the injectors.There is an explanation of this in the service manual. After it starts then then the pcm uses the crank sensor.
the guy that did it did some digging around and still getting no pulse or power to coil when cranking
You should get power to the coil when cranking, If not check the asd relay. It supplies power to the coil, 02's and injectors. After you verify you have power cranking then see why there is no injector pulse.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:27 PM
oddone
Amateur

i believe so i know he ran a temp jumper wire at the auto shut down relay so power at the coil when key on but when cranking nothing and fuel pump is running just doesn't seem to be getting spark from what i understand of it and he said ignition module on these truck is built in to the pcm? i'm sorta at a loss and just don't know where to go from here on fixed income and can't afford to buy another vehicle at this time so wa hoping to get this one through till summer at least

Old 09-10-2023, 12:30 PM
oddone
Amateur

cam sensor or an ohv engine? i had him replace the crank sensor as well and he put a jumper to the asd relay so when key on has constant power to coil just no i guess you say pulse when cranking

Old 09-10-2023, 12:33 PM
oddone
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
Wrong! With no input from the cam sensor the pcm doesn't know where the engine is and can't fire the coil or the injectors.There is an explanation of this in the service manual. After it starts then then the pcm uses the crank sensor.

You should get power to the coil when cranking, If not check the asd relay. It supplies power to the coil, 02's and injectors. After you verify you have power cranking then see why there is no injector pulse.
not even finding a listing for a camshaft position sensor for this truck

Old 09-10-2023, 08:22 PM
oddone
Amateur

Originally Posted by oddone
not even finding a listing for a camshaft position sensor for this truck
ok after doing some digging online i found out the cam sensor in these is actually the pick up module in the distributor which only has to do with fuel and air it seems not spark. as i am not getting power i think he said switching or pulsing ground coming into the coil? when cranking these electronic parts are french to me i admit i don't know much about them but from what i can find that part seems to have nothing to do with spark or the coil

Old 09-11-2023, 12:07 AM
oddone
Amateur

i guess in am i'll go to parts store and get the distributor pick up module see if that fixes the issue if not IDK what to do next

Old 09-11-2023, 07:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

If it isn't firing the coil, or even triggering the ASD relay... that's a problem. Of course, if the fuel pump runs, that should imply the ASD relay is doing its job. You will only see power for about three seconds at initial key on, then the PCM needs to see the engine turning to send power. Is that actually happening?

Old 09-11-2023, 08:53 AM
oddone
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it isn't firing the coil, or even triggering the ASD relay... that's a problem. Of course, if the fuel pump runs, that should imply the ASD relay is doing its job. You will only see power for about three seconds at initial key on, then the PCM needs to see the engine turning to send power. Is that actually happening?
i believe that when cranking there was no power to coil i know the fuel pump was working just no spark no power going to the coil or out of coil this aspect of vehicles is rather beyond my abailitys

Quick Reply: crank no start