2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help! Check Gases light/low oil pressure/vacuum leak somewhere maybe

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 06:17 PM
Darren Davis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Check Gases light/low oil pressure/vacuum leak somewhere maybe

So, here's the skinny.... I have a 98 ram 1500 5.2l 2wd and When I'm running my AC after maybe 10mins the oil pressure gauge drops to 0 and the check Gases light pops on but goes back up to little under 40 when i get going again or turn off the AC. Even when I don't have the AC running and I just get off the highway or stop at a red light after driving a few miles the oil pressure drops and shots back up once I get going again. I've replaced the oil pump, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket and yet it's still doing this and oil is slowly leaking down into the transmission bell housing but there's no visible trail on the flex plate where the leak could be coming from, what else could be causing this?

Plus, now when I run the AC, all the air shots out of the defrost vents. I've gone through all lines to check for leak spots, nothing. Replaced the check valve, nothing. What could be the reason for this?

Is this all connected somehow?

Last edited by Darren Davis; 08-31-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Your oil pressure sensor is bad. Totally unrelated to the A/C problem. You have a broken vacuum line... Check the line by the upper a/c line where it goes into the cab, I bet that feller is broken.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:39 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Replaced the check valve,
Actually you have two, One right off the intake and the other by the ac lines(cowl). And you need to make sure they have flow towards the motor not away from it.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:38 PM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Your oil pressure sensor is bad. Totally unrelated to the A/C problem. You have a broken vacuum line... Check the line by the upper a/c line where it goes into the cab, I bet that feller is broken.
Replaced the oil pressure sensor, didn't fix the issue. And No broken or cracked vacuum lines anywhere because I replaced all this morning.

​​​​​​I do however hear the whistling noise coming from within the plenum but replaced the plenum and intake manifold gaskets last week because of this issue and it still didn't fix the problem. When I checked inside the plenum this morning there was no oil at all inside, bone dry inside the plenum.

Got any other suggestions?

Old 09-01-2023, 07:42 PM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
Actually you have two, One right off the intake and the other by the ac lines(cowl). And you need to make sure they have flow towards the motor not away from it.

Put both check valves on and still did solve the issue. Got any other suggestions?

Old 09-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren Davis
Put both check valves on and still did solve the issue. Got any other suggestions?
Check the vac actuators to upper right of accelerator.

Old 09-02-2023, 07:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Did you put them in the correct way? Air flow or vac needs to flow towards the motor. If either one is reversed you will have no vacuum.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:11 AM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did you put them in the correct way? Air flow or vac needs to flow towards the motor. If either one is reversed you will have no vacuum.
Yes they're on the right way and still nothing. There is a whistling noise coming from within the intake manifold but I've even replaced the intake manifold gaskets and plenum gaskets last week to correct this same issue but still no luck. I know for a fact that it's not the plenum gasket again either because its bone dry inside the manifold.
Any other suggestions?

Old 09-03-2023, 07:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Did you check the other vac lines? The one going to the cruse control actuator always cracks. Also check the line going to the reservoir under the cowl. Check vac at the second check valve where it goes into the cab, If you have good vac there(engine running) the problem is in the cab/hvac box.

Quick Reply: Need help! Check Gases light/low oil pressure/vacuum leak somewhere maybe