2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just a question on my 46RE trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 07:53 PM
Sirriggs
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Just a question on my 46RE trans

I have parked the 99 Dodge ram 5.2 2 wheel drive. I believe this was the same issue before I did the full rebuild before. I know it was a slipping issue before. Everything was replaced new but pump and valve body ( rebuilt it). It's going to be a few months to save up some after my dental bill. lol. I am thinking about getting a local shop to go though and do a pressure check and see what is going on. Unfortunately the trans shop down the road doesn't want to touch it since I rebuilt it.

My question is what are a symptoms if maybe the pump is weak or possibly starting to fail? I can drive it enough to keep it from just sitting in one spot but nothing with real distance for now. I don't want it to just sit as it has before.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,262 Likes on 3,009 Posts

Low pressure, lazy shifts, slipping, etc. There are a selection of test ports on the trans, get yourself a gauge, and see what they have to say for themselves.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:43 AM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Low pressure, lazy shifts, slipping, etc. There are a selection of test ports on the trans, get yourself a gauge, and see what they have to say for themselves.
I don't really remember lazy shift. Longer and odd one's yes. I just think it's time to let someone with better knowledge of how everything works to find the problem(s) with this transmission. I will do a update when I do get it in and fixed so maybe the information from this may help others. Thanks

Old 10-02-2023, 09:13 AM
Sirriggs
Captain

Thanks you Hey for giving some insight. It's just crazy that I am still having this issue after pretty much a full rebuild. The truck it's self is running really good and worth putting the time and money into. This truck has been really good to us over the years with little to no problems. If you followed my rebuild. The transmission really looked good upon taking a apart showed very little wear even at 162,000 miles. I believe the problem is either a pump or valve body since it leans more towards having the same issue before rebuild. I am not sure? I just bought a newer truck so this has limited my budget for now but after I pay a few things off. I will be taking it to have it gone through by a shop that knows more than I do to solve this issue to get it fully back on the road. I needed something more reliable during this ordeal. Maybe I can find something out that will help a fellow member down the road with similar problems? Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:49 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Like Hey You, pressure testing would be the way to go right now. Could you make a video, pointing at the speedometer and tachometer. A regular shift through the gears as you would normally, then a 1/2 throttle through the gears, then a pedal to the metal up to 65. The valve body you already upgraded with the shift kit should have no problems. It was clean and all the b alls were replaced. The pump, did you take it apart and inspect it? Wear from contamination,usage (300K+ miles) and catastrophic grenading. The oil is clean and no burnt smell. Have you removed the 8 pin connector and manually shifted first through third, no fourth? You did a good rebuild and replaced the torque converter. You applied air to the ports when putting it back together so that tells me the clutch packs are working. Here is a HF tester if you decide to test pressure yourself. https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...SABEgJJM_D_BwE

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 10-02-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:18 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
Like Hey You, pressure testing would be the way to go right now. Could you make a video, pointing at the speedometer and tachometer. A regular shift through the gears as you would normally, then a 1/2 throttle through the gears, then a pedal to the metal up to 65. The valve body you already upgraded with the shift kit should have no problems. It was clean and all the b alls were replaced. The pump, did you take it apart and inspect it? Wear from contamination,usage (300K+ miles) and catastrophic grenading. The oil is clean and no burnt smell. Have you removed the 8 pin connector and manually shifted first through third, no fourth? You did a good rebuild and replaced the torque converter. You applied air to the ports when putting it back together so that tells me the clutch packs are working. Here is a HF tester if you decide to test pressure yourself. https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...SABEgJJM_D_BwE
Right now my budget is stretched after having full dental done so climbing under it wont be too soon. The problem at this point was slipping bad in 3rd gear again. Once I am back up and feeling better , I will take it for a run and see exactly what it's doing and try some of things suggested and go from there. I don't remember seeing any real wear on the pump and it looked good. Yes, I did the air test and it passed. I will update once I do this.

Old 01-14-2024, 11:36 AM
Sirriggs
Captain

I'm currently bringing this thread back into action to pick some brains and how to do some things as checking pressure. My big problem is how to do a pressure test since I am doing this on my own? I bought a kit a little while back but just haven't fully understand how to conduct it? I mean it was shifting odd to me but didn't start slipping for a few months after which I did drop and strained fluid since it had clutch material specs ( rubbed between fingers feeling nothing) floating in the fluid when I replaced a couple of electronic parts). The only guy I trusted here doesn't like going behind someone so I really either have to find someone new or trust myself to find and solve the issue. I did some pressure test during the rebuild and they showed everything working properly. I really don't want to pull it again since it wasn't easy to put it back in being a one person ordeal. I thinking doing a pressure check while the transmission is in may point out what is going on and a direction to take. Is it possible for one person to do a pressure check? Sorry for this being a lot to read and understand what I am trying to achieve with limited knowledge that I have to work with. The transmission book I have is very limited to trouble shooting. Thanks guys

Old 01-14-2024, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Most pressure tests I have seen done were on a rack, with all four wheels off the ground.....

Old 01-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most pressure tests I have seen done were on a rack, with all four wheels off the ground.....
Getting all four off the ground would be easy since I have stands along with build some blocks to make it more stable. From the last time I read up on doing a pressure test, you have to hold certain rpm's to yest it. I just can't see it being done by one person. My thought is whatever is acting up could be something simple to fix. The last time I dropped the pan and strain the fluid since it had shiny particles which I am sure came from the new clutch pads. Even though you can't feel them when rubbing them between fingers, I wonder if they may have clogged something up? I drove it a few months before it started to act up. If you remember I was questioning the shift pattern being odd but I also replaced the TC to a 1800 lock up. Trying to get a direction before I start back on it after this cold weather passes.

Old 01-14-2024, 01:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Having a second warm body certainly makes life easier..... The techs at work were able to control engine speed with their scan tool though..... (dealership.... so, not precisely something you can pick up off the shelf.)

Quick Reply: Just a question on my 46RE trans