2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 06:57 PM
63Bguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission

I found this in the transmission pan when I dropped it. does anybody know what it is?

Old 10-06-2023, 09:38 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Lightbulb

I believe that is a part of the band strut mechanism. When you adjust the transmission band, the screw pushes that part against the band strut to adjust the band's tension. Not sure if its for the reverse band or the kickdown band, but that's what it looks like to me. - got a photo of the inside of the transmission above the transmission pan (where the bands and drums are)? That should show where that part should be and possibly other parts are missing...

With that part not in-place, I suspect your transmission isn't shifting properly, either in reverse or going forward?

Last edited by AtomicDog; 10-06-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts
Old 10-07-2023, 07:57 AM
63Bguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I believe that is a part of the band strut mechanism. When you adjust the transmission band, the screw pushes that part against the band strut to adjust the band's tension. Not sure if its for the reverse band or the kickdown band, but that's what it looks like to me. - got a photo of the inside of the transmission above the transmission pan (where the bands and drums are)? That should show where that part should be and possibly other parts are missing...

With that part not in-place, I suspect your transmission isn't shifting properly, either in reverse or going forward?
Thank you, I did find out this morning what it was. I appreciate you answering me, Yes, the Transmission will not move at all once I put it into Gear. Do you know If I am able to remove the shift body I will be able to get it back into Position with removing the tranny? Thank you for your Help

Old 10-07-2023, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Shouldn't even need to drop the valve body to put it back in. You WILL need to properly adjust the bands though.

Old 10-07-2023, 02:23 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

If that's the only part that fell into the pan, it should be pretty easy to re-install that part back onto the band. As HeyYou mentioned, the band will need to be properly adjusted. Also, check the band strut to make sure it isn't bent.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission