2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 01:57 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tranny swap

Im about to do a tranny swap. Donor is supposedly rebuilt. Have tranny, spare transfer case, new cooler, filter kit and 11l of full synthetic atf +4. Havent decided if im buying new lines yet.

Just trying to find a new kick-down cable and having no luck. Also wondering if i should do anything else at same time. Engine has newish rear main and CPS already.

ive done a ton of trannies and engines but not in a while and i havent even been working much so feeling pretty rusty.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Pull the CPS before you R&R the trans. That'll save you from having to buy another one.

Kickdown cables are still out there. I think even advance can get 'em. Might be listed as "throttle valve cable".....

The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 02:23 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull the CPS before you R&R the trans. That'll save you from having to buy another one.

Kickdown cables are still out there. I think even advance can get 'em. Might be listed as "throttle valve cable".....

Ok, ill call around. I had only tried LordCo a smaller Canadian company. Theres a napa here as well though. Lol good call on the cps. Last one got wires pinched between bellhousing.

Part of my issue is i need to have everything on hand as its a bit of a bike ride on a very non bike friendly highway if i forget anything.

Im tempted to set up in town to do it but i already started piling wood and dont want to lose it.

Old 10-27-2023, 03:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 323 Likes on 305 Posts

If you haven't done the check valve removal, now is a great time to do so - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...46rh-46re.html

Old 10-27-2023, 04:34 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
If you haven't done the check valve removal, now is a great time to do so - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...46rh-46re.html
Im split on that. Is it helpful? Of course. But losing line pressure with a fully loaded truck doesnt seem like a good thing.

Old 10-27-2023, 06:15 PM
MtnTow
Professional

No luck through Napa. Is there any site besides rock auto that you'd recommend?

Old 10-27-2023, 11:53 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 323 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by MtnTow
Im split on that. Is it helpful? Of course. But losing line pressure with a fully loaded truck doesnt seem like a good thing.
It's a very helpful mod. Nothing worse than a plugged check valve keeping transmission from flowing back into the transmission after being cooled. That's a transmission rebuild waiting to happen.

MtnTow (10-28-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 10-28-2023, 04:55 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Is it normal that my transmission lines go straight to the cooler and not to the rad and then cooler and back?

The lines they had at the store had fittings for a rad.

Old 10-28-2023, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Normally, they would go to the radiator first, then to the aux cooler.... sometimes, when the trans is rebuilt (because it blew up) the tech will bypass the radiator cooler, to remove the need to clean it out.....

MtnTow (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 09:07 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Normally, they would go to the radiator first, then to the aux cooler.... sometimes, when the trans is rebuilt (because it blew up) the tech will bypass the radiator cooler, to remove the need to clean it out.....
The truck did indeed have a freshly rebuilt transmission when i got it and he had mentioned a new cooler to go with it.

Great. Looking at a new rad now as well. Lol (dont think this one has the ports)

Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: Tranny swap