2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Standard Cab Seat Cushion Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 07:42 AM
Agamemnon
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standard Cab Seat Cushion Interchange

Hello! I have recently acquired a 2000 Dodge 2500 work truck, standard cab, 360 engine. My driver's seat bottom cushion is done, both foam and cover, and it hurts my back to drive the truck. In my research, I have found that seat cushions are different between my regular cab and any other cab, and mine are apparently much harder to find. I have checked inventory junkyards around me, and I see no trucks that would have the same seat.
Is there any alternate seat cushion that will fit a 98-2002 Dodge regular cab truck? Will an earlier cushion fit? Can the quad cab cushion be made to fit? If not, can any other seats be fitted in the truck? I like my 40/20/40 bench a lot, but if the solution to back pain is Grand Caravan buckets, so be it. I cannot care less what it looks like, so long as it solves the back pain.
This truck was absolutely dirt cheap and is very rusty and I don't want to put a lot of money into it. I know there are aftermarket seat cushions out there, but between cushion foam and cover, I'm looking at nearly the price I paid for the truck. I'm also not convinced I'm going to be able to get the bolts out to remove the seat in the first place, because the floor is very rusty. I may end up having to rivet a sheet of metal to the floor to re-bolt the seat through if I remove the whole seat frame.
Thanks, folks.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Try Car-part.com. Look for a truck in the right year range/cab configuration, then CALL the yard that has it. See what they got.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:51 AM
Agamemnon
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Try Car-part.com. Look for a truck in the right year range/cab configuration, then CALL the yard that has it. See what they got.
Unfortunately, I have, the nearest listing that doesn't say the seat is also trashed is three states away (and several hundred dollars).

Old 11-07-2023, 07:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Have a chat with an automotive upholstery shop that's closer. See if they can do anything for you.

I think at one time, LMC truck had the cushions available, but, that's been a while, and they have been out of production for quite some time......

Old 11-07-2023, 07:08 PM
latkelarry
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the cushions different or are the bolt holes in the seat frames also different? I have a 2000 1500 Club Cab and while it does look sliiiiightly off, I just replaced the bottom of my driver side seat with the bottom of a passenger side seat I got from the junkyard. Perhaps, providing the bolt holes line up, you could just swap out the current 40/20/40 bench you have with one from a club cab, and if the driver seat is shot, do what I did and essentially have two passenger seats.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:46 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts
Old 11-08-2023, 10:00 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

I've pursued this pretty far and the bottom seat cushion is SERIOUSLY integrated into the seat. It doesn't just unbolt like the extra cabs.

I finally tabled the project but I REALLY think the best solution might be to see if you can put an extra cab seat in a regular cab. The trick there is finding one with a good seat BACK, then you can bolt in a new Dorman lower cushion.

For me at least metalwork -- which could be welding, or could be drilling holes, or could be direct bolt-up? -- is easier than extensive upholstery work. I mean I can operate hog ring pliers, but that's it.

Plus regular cab 2nd Gens were much more rare, or at least the remaining survivors are around here. There's little demand for the relatively rare regular cab seats and so the aftermarket doesn't support them.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:07 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is an 01 2500. The standard cabs changed in 98? And the new cushions went on till 02 for the 2500 and 3500. Do yourself a favor and go lookup the original part number readily available on the web. Compare that to what they are offering. Get confirmation before pulling the trigger. Ebay didn't work.I didn't research it well, and the real deal is about $130 new. Some ebay listings will state that the white foam fits, and if you scan the entire page it then says "Not for Std, cab. Bench seat comes apart into three pieces, two ends and the middle section.Four front bolts, and four rear nuts and the whole deal comes out. For me it was easier that way to see what i was doing. A torch helped me get the rusted front bolts, but no torches allowed in yards. Battery powered sawzall on two four bolts under cab, cut flush with floor and easy peasy.
I needed 13mm, 14mm 15mm, 18 mm sockets and a flex head long arm ratchet. Good hunting

A Chineseium something for 50 us off of ebay. Cover included.

Original tired foam 2001 Ram 2500 std cab bench seat.
ering. He are photos of my tale of woe.
oto

Last edited by Xombi; 03-01-2024 at 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-01-2024, 10:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Just FYI, you can likely find the OEM part number in the parts manual - you can download the manual for your year truck here - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-manuals.html

As for removing the seat track bolts, I just went through that ordeal last weekend. One bolt on the driver's side seat had the head rounded off + rusted so badly no socket could get a bite on it. Ended up having to use a combination of heat from the bottom on the bolt (a friend held the torch on it) and I used an air hammer with a chisel bit in it to knock it around enough to get it started for removal. I plan to remove the seat tracks to have them powder coated, as they are nasty looking and rust coated.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (03-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Standard Cab Seat Cushion Interchange