2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can’t find any info for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 01:14 PM
Lvalle1994
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can’t find any info for my truck

Hi everyone, so I’ve looked on multiple threads and I can’t seem to find the info on the issue I’ve got going on for two problems.

2001 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 v8 2wd 8’ bed

first one
is that I’m trying to do a trans oil and filter change with the band adjustment on my truck but I have no transmission dipstick. On all videos and forums I’ve read people always say fill using the TF tube to refill trans but my truck doesn’t have it and the previous owner said it’s never had a dipstick tub for the trans fluid even when he bought it new back in 01.

Second issue
I tow regularly about 2-3 times a week and I’m looking to get 4.10 gears on my truck but I will also be upgrading to 285/70/17 once I get those in, but I can’t find the info on the type of rear diff I have, It’s 10 bolts around the cover, 3”wide springs, and I’m sure it’s a free float diff since it has the cover with bolts on the hub like every other free float I’ve seen.

any info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED lol I’m kindof at my wits end trying to get reliable info on this thing

Old 12-06-2023, 01:28 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

You can download the factory service and parts manuals for your year truck via the links below - that should provide you with plenty of information:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-manuals.html

As for the 4.10 rear differential gearing swap, you likely have a Dana 60 rear in your truck. I went through the same gearing swap a few years ago, since I'm running 285/75/16 tires on my truck and the stock 3.54 gearing was woefully inadequate for towing. I also added a limited slip carrier (a dana power-lok) to the rear when the 4.10 gearing was added. That upgrade made towing and taking off from stoplights much more enjoyable. Unless you have the tools and know-how on ring and pinion setup procedures, I've found that this work is best left to someone that really knows what they're doing.

The following users liked this post:
Lvalle1994 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:38 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
As for your transmission dipstick tube, unless someone removed and plugged the hole in the case on the passenger side of the truck, you should have a transmission dipstick tube on your truck. Attached is a photo of my transmission dipstick location on my truck. It's a long tube that comes up on the passenger side of the truck, just behind the air cleaner intake tube.

Lvalle1994 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:41 PM
Lvalle1994

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
As for your transmission dipstick tube, unless someone removed and plugged the hole in the case on the passenger side of the truck, you should have a transmission dipstick tube on your truck. Attached is a photo of my transmission dipstick location on my truck. It's a long tube that comes up on the passenger side of the truck, just behind the air cleaner intake tube.

thanks for the info on the rear diff and parts page link. It really is helpful and for the tip on the Dana power lok, yeah I’m guessing it’s probably plugged up cause there’s no tube there probably going to a junk yard to pull one off and add it on, how did you like the upgrade in gears on your truck?

Old 12-06-2023, 02:13 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Originally Posted by Lvalle1994
thanks for the info on the rear diff and parts page link. It really is helpful and for the tip on the Dana power lok, yeah I’m guessing it’s probably plugged up cause there’s no tube there probably going to a junk yard to pull one off and add it on, how did you like the upgrade in gears on your truck?
If you have a pick and pay salvage yard in your area, that will be the best way to find one. You will need the dipstick, dipstick tube and the seal for the tube that presses into the hole on the transmission case (be sure to obtain a new seal!). When you add the tube to your transmission, be sure to remove the pan and drain the fluid, otherwise, you will have transmission fluid all over the place.

As for the 4.10 gearing upgrade, I love having the upgrade completed and wouldn't ever go back to 3.54 gearing, especially when towing. It was more costly for me to do, as my truck is 4WD, so both the front and rear differentials required being upgraded so that they match.

Lvalle1994 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 04:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Is that the 5.9 gas, or diesel? Makes a difference.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:02 AM
Lvalle1994

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is that the 5.9 gas, or diesel? Makes a difference.
It’s a a gasser

Old 12-08-2023, 07:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Rear end should be full floating D60 then.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:32 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

If you can find a complete late model Dodge Dana 60 rear with disc brakes and 4.10 gears, that rear is pretty much a bolt-in swap. Just have to change out the parking brake cables at each wheel. Swapping the rear might be cheaper than dealing with the costs of swapping the gear sets, depending on how much labor costs are in your area.

Quick Reply: Can’t find any info for my truck