2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaf Spring Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 06:34 PM
latkelarry
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaf Spring Bushing Replacement

Howdy all,

I'm in the process of replacing all four of the leaf spring bushings and both of the shackles on my truck. I figured after a new transmission and a Redhead gear box what's 75 bucks in shackles and bushings and just dove in today. I purchased the Ruff Stuff bushings that were mentioned a few times on some of the older threads here and I'm a bit stumped on the installation process.

I have the old bushings removed and there appears to be a thin tubular piece of metal inside the leaf spring eye. Some of the install videos I watched removed this metal piece, some didn't, and those that did had a new metal cover around the new bushings they were installing. My question is, these Ruff Stuff bushings appear to be the correct sizes, so do I just push them in or do I have to remove and replace the metal part inside of the eye? If anyone has any experience with these bushings it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Thin tubular piece of metal inside leaf spring eye.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

If they fit snugly into the existing steels, stick 'em in there, and torque 'em down.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (01-18-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:39 PM
latkelarry
Professional

I'd have to use a decent bit of force to get them in. I tried pushing them in by hand and they didn't cooperate. Could I try heating up the metal sleeve and tossing the bushings in the freezer, and then try again to fit them into the existing metal sleeve?

Old 01-17-2024, 09:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by latkelarry
I'd have to use a decent bit of force to get them in. I tried pushing them in by hand and they didn't cooperate. Could I try heating up the metal sleeve and tossing the bushings in the freezer, and then try again to fit them into the existing metal sleeve?
Nah, you don't want to get the metal hot enough for it to expand, that would likely do a number on the bushing when you installed them. If you can't squeeze 'em in there with something like a large pair of channel-locks, may have to get the steel sleeve outta there.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:47 PM
latkelarry
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nah, you don't want to get the metal hot enough for it to expand, that would likely do a number on the bushing when you installed them. If you can't squeeze 'em in there with something like a large pair of channel-locks, may have to get the steel sleeve outta there.
I'll have try with a channel lock tomorrow morning and report back. Is there any disadvantage to not having the metal sleeve other than, I imagine, a tad more exposure to the elements?

Old 01-17-2024, 10:19 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds like the sleeve needs to be removed. I usually lay the spring on it's side on top of a couple of cinder blocks at each end and use an air hammer with the appropriate chisel to remove the metal shells.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by latkelarry
I'll have try with a channel lock tomorrow morning and report back. Is there any disadvantage to not having the metal sleeve other than, I imagine, a tad more exposure to the elements?
If the bushing fits well, I don't think it really matters one way or the other.

Keith_L (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 12:01 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

The OE bushings were metal clad likely to help press them into the spring for a tight fit.

latkelarry (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 12:06 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Yep OE rubber bushings come in a metal shell. Usually it's bonded quite well so I'm surprised you got the rubber out (short of using a blue wrench and inhaling lots of really good fumes) without also having the shell move.

If the new bushings don't fit, your options are to remove the shell or have a machinist turn down the new bushings to account for the wt (wall thickness) of the shell.

latkelarry (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 07:18 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
If the new bushings don't fit, your options are to remove the shell or have a machinist turn down the new bushings to account for the wt (wall thickness) of the shell.
Ironically I had to do this today. I tore into the rear suspension of a '96 Nissan Hardbody and the front spring eye was toasted. This wasn't why I was there but once I knew about it I couldn't leave it that way.

At this point the game was to get it back together with whatever I had around. I had some Tacoma leafs in my pile and at some point someone had installed poly bushings in the front eyes. I tapped them out but if I removed the existing Nissan metal shell they'd be too small, and if I left the shell the bushings were too large. I had to take about .100" off diameter and they fit well.

Granted, you can see the Nissan shell is a little mangled but it's WAY better than it was.

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Bushing Replacement