2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulsating grind feont wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 10:39 PM
Brendancrowley
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulsating grind front wheel

I have 2001 dodge ram 1500 4wd, ihad some issues with a growl pulsating at low speeds mainlybwhen turning the wheel left ir right. So replaced the front drivers side wheel hub assembly, upper and lower ball joints.
no i notice i have a pulsating growl almost like a dull grind at low speeds like 20 - 50 km/hr, when the wheel is straight,if i turn a little to either left ir right it goes away. I had new brakes brakes put on so they seem good, no shuddering when braking, the cv axel looked good.
so jacked up the tire and when spinning the wheel it seems like a little slight noise once a rotation coming through the brake drum area (hard to tell for sure). I checked the tire heat guars and doesnt seem to be rubbing. Wheel has no play in 6 to 9 a little play on the 9 to 3 but figure its tie rods.
i did notice that when i take the tire off i can pull the rotor in or out maybe about a 1/4 on an inch ( not sure if thats notmal) i out the wheel nut in and got the pin in and still looks ok.
could the brakepad or drum cause the deep vibration or got a bad wheel hub ?

regards in advance for any help

Last edited by Brendancrowley; 02-08-2024 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-31-2024, 06:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

i did notice that when i take the tire off i can pull the rotor in or out maybe about a 1/4 on an inch ( not sure if thats notmal)
No not normal! You should not be able to move it at all.
So replaced the front drivers side wheel hub assembly
Is the movement on this side or the other?

Old 01-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Brendancrowley

Originally Posted by Moparite
No not normal! You should not be able to move it at all.

Is the movement on this side or the other?
I never tried looking at the wheel and the rotor. Could be that i dont have the giant 1 3/4 inch wheel nut tight enough,
i put torque wrench and set it to 180 lbs heard it click and the pin fits in. As long as the wheel is tightened up with the lug nuts it the rotor should sit pushed in and flush.
I just don't get the part if I turn the wheel slightly the rumble goes away it like the opposite of what people say with bearing problems.

Old 02-01-2024, 01:35 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendancrowley
i did notice that when i take the tire off i can pull the rotor in or out maybe about a 1/4 on an inch ( not sure if thats notmal) i out the wheel nut in and got the pin in and still looks ok.
could the brakepad or drum cause the deep vibration or got a bad wheel hub ?

regards in advance for any help
Normal because your lugnuts squeeze the rotor between wheel hub and wheel itself. No lugnuts = loose rotor. The only thing keeping it there is caliper and pads at that point

Your axle nut sounds fine at 180 with cotter pin installed

You definitely have the '00+ brake parts and not '99 and earlier?

Old 02-01-2024, 04:43 PM
Brendancrowley

I actually had the pads done at a professional shop, I'm gonna guess yes they seemed great when we picked up the truck.
the other thing I never mentioned was after doing the hub and ball joints, I noticed a noise going back and forth to the dog park and realized the lug nuts weren't tight they were actually hand turntable loose. Maybe forgot to finish tightening them with tire iron. Took a whole day to get the lower ball joint out , was ready to push that truck in the lake.

I noticed this time after taking the wheel off there was some metal filings on the caliber nut. Did i wreck my new hub ? Is there a for sure waybto tell if my hub is toast ? Could i have i have not got the brake drum back on proper, I just remived the entire drum.
The rumble is most noticeable when i take my foot off the gass doinflg around 50 or 45 km.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:46 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I actually had the pads done at a professional shop, I'm gonna guess yes they seemed great when we picked up the truck.
the other thing I never mentioned was after doing the hub and ball joints, I noticed a noise going back and forth to the dog park and realized the lug nuts weren't tight they were actually hand turntable loose. Maybe forgot to finish tightening them with tire iron. Took a whole day to get the lower ball joint out , was ready to push that truck in the lake.

I noticed this time after taking the wheel off there was some metal filings on the caliber nut. Did i wreck my new hub ? Is there a for sure waybto tell if my hub is toast ? Could i have i have not got the brake drum back on proper, I just remived the entire drum.
The rumble is most noticeable when i take my foot off the gass doinflg around 50 or 45 km.

To be honest, your spelling is rather confusing. You evidently have something loose. The noise coming and going makes me wonder if you have a warped rotor. A shop might put on pads but if they didn't turn the rotor, you might have a warp and it will never go away. Are you finding ny marks on the inside of the wheel in question? That might explain metal particles on your caliper, if that's what you meant.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 06:23 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Could i have i have not got the brake drum back on proper, I just remived the entire drum.
No drums, You mean rotors. Maybe posting some pics of what you have could clear things up.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:42 PM
Brendancrowley

I googled warped rotos also, seems like there should be signs of that on the rotor like scraps wore in but it looks smooth. I will jack it up and take off the wheel again get some pics ir a video with the sound.
I had read about maybe being the front differential. If the sound goes away when its in 4x4.
but it's the turning the wheel and the noise goes away that throws me off..

Old 02-02-2024, 02:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I googled warped rotos also, seems like there should be signs of that on the rotor like scraps wore in but it looks smooth. I will jack it up and take off the wheel again get some pics ir a video with the sound.
I had read about maybe being the front differential. If the sound goes away when its in 4x4.
but it's the turning the wheel and the noise goes away that throws me off..

Actually, a warped rotor can look totally normal. You need a dial indicator gauge to read the run out. I have seen heavy repeated braking wear the front pads at an angle. That will cause the caliper to grind on the inside of the wheel.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:25 PM
Brendancrowley

Not sire what happened. But I put it into 4 wheel for a bit then back to 2 then back to 4 wheel and back to 2 wheel and the rumble is what seems like 98% gone. I think maybe a little rumble once in a while or might just be my imagination on a bad road in winter.
not sire if I needed to ongage the 4 wheel after re installing the cv axel or the front differential , But so far so good.

Quick Reply: Pulsating grind feont wheel