2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Knuckle Rubbing Inner Rim

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 07:50 PM
ryblmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Knuckle Rubbing Inner Rim

I just recently had my entire suspension replaced with all stock components (I am very particular about what I put on my vehicles).
I noticed my 2WD Dodge 1500 5.2 leaning on the passenger side today.

Upon inspection, I noticed on my drivers side that the upper ball joint was rubbing the wheel, and the outter tie rod boot was rubbing the inner rim.

On my passenger side, the damn STEERING KNUCKLE was rubbing the inner rim. Any ideas what in the world is going on here?

Drivers Side outter tie rod

Drivers side upper ball joint

Passenger side outter tie rod

Old 06-18-2024, 12:29 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

What year truck and which parts were replaced ? There are differences between earlier and later models. Also, do you have stock wheels or aftermarket ? Nevermind I see the Chrysler part number on the rim.

Last edited by DerTruck; 06-18-2024 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,367 Likes on 3,109 Posts

I would wonder if the shop installed the wrong wheel bearings....

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (06-20-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:32 PM
DerTruck
All Star

My thought as well that's why I asked the OP what all was done. Judging by the part numbers on the knuckles this is a 2000/2001 truck which uses the single piece unit bearings. Typically the whole hub gets swapped out (not much more expensive and much less work) and it might have the wrong dimensions.

Old 06-18-2024, 04:51 PM
ryblmc

Sorry for the delayed response, everything replaced was as follows;
Outter Tie Rods
Upper and Lower Control Arms
Upper and Lower Ball Joints
Shocks
Sway Bar Links
Sway Bar Bushings

Old 06-18-2024, 07:37 PM
DerTruck
All Star

Ok, no wheel bearings/hubs or knuckles replaced. It basically looks like the wheel is not in the correct position relative to the knuckle but to replace the parts listed there is no need to remove the hub from the knuckle. When you write the truck is leaning, do you mean the whole truck or the wheel looks off ? Ultimately you should take it back to whoever performed the work but to figure out what's going on I'd try to figure out if the hub is tight. Either remove the wheel and brake rotor or sometimes you can just rock the top of the tire in and out and you hear/feel the play in the bearing.

Old 06-18-2024, 08:59 PM
ryblmc

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Ok, no wheel bearings/hubs or knuckles replaced. It basically looks like the wheel is not in the correct position relative to the knuckle but to replace the parts listed there is no need to remove the hub from the knuckle. When you write the truck is leaning, do you mean the whole truck or the wheel looks off ? Ultimately you should take it back to whoever performed the work but to figure out what's going on I'd try to figure out if the hub is tight. Either remove the wheel and brake rotor or sometimes you can just rock the top of the tire in and out and you hear/feel the play in the bearing.

Drivers side of the truck has 1” less of a gap between the tire and fenderwell compared to the passenger side. It’s definitely noticeable that it is “sagging”. The drivers side is the side with the ball joint rubbing the tire sidewall, along with the slightly busted tie rod end.

Passenger side tire appears tilting inwards at the top, no dragging of upper ball joint on that side. However the passenger side is the side where the inner tie rod is basically in contact with the inner wheel (wheel weights are tearing both tie rods up)

I installed everything myself. Have done this numerous times.. had absolutely no issues until an alignment was done & drove around a bit. Got underneath to grease everything and noticed all that **** lol. Upon installation everything was golden.. even after driving a bit with no alignment done!

Old 06-20-2024, 10:13 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 133 Likes on 120 Posts

Ok, so ball joints were replaced. And we have ball joint contact on one side. So that's something.

Ball joints themselves would not affect distance to the tie rod because that's fixed on the knuckle.

Is it possible to install these BJs upside down? I would think the taper would make that almost impossible? I've never touched a 2wd front end on a 2nd Gen

Old 06-20-2024, 03:28 PM
REAPER03712

you have the wrong control arms for the truck. only reason i know this is when i lifted my 2wd 2nd gen that came with aftermarket control arms it messed with the suspension geometry enough that i no longer could use my factory wheels and would have to use spacers or get new wheels. my opinion is that maybe one of the control arms was boxed wrong from wherever you got them from

Old 06-21-2024, 09:01 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

If the wheels didn't rub with the old parts you have to ask what changed with the new ones.

Quick Reply: Steering Knuckle Rubbing Inner Rim