2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clutch Hydraulic Line Broken Fitting at Trans

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:31 AM
Spacehog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Hydraulic Line Broken Fitting at Trans

Hello everyone. Long time since I've been on this site.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 gas 4WD manual trans. Broken / snapped fitting on hydraulic clutch line where it screws into tube attached to left side of trans. Can this be replaced w/o removing trans?
Is such a part(s) even available to buy anywhere?

I guess we have Mother Nature to thank for us living over here in the northeast rust-belt..

Thanks,

Spacehog

Old Today, 09:56 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

That tube is a clutch slave cylinder, and yes, can be removed w/o removing trans. There are prefilled assemblys available, for example Rockauto has them under manual transmission.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (Today)
Old Today, 11:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,310 Likes on 3,055 Posts

Not sure they are available as anything other than the complete kit... It is notoriously difficult to bleed the slaves on hydraulic clutch, as the air bubbles naturally want to go UP, not down and out.

Old Today, 02:14 PM
Los_Control

Another vote for a pre bled sealed system.
I recently replaced mine on my 1991 chebby truck. From RA I bought the complete enclosed pre bled system ... master cylinder, line, slave cylinder. already bled just install.
Was pretty simple to install.

If I went to my local auto parts to order just the line, I think it was around $100 .... The line is pre formed metal line going to rubber flexible line going back to pre formed metal.
RA did not even offer it, but for $110 you got new master, line, slave already bled .... was just a no brainer to use it.

When I first bought my truck, the clutch master cylinder was bad .... I was able to drive it 4 hours home, first thing I had to replace before I drove it again.
I replaced the master cylinder cheap enough, then spent 3 days trying to bleed it .... I'm no mechanic and finally called a mobile mechanic.

We got it in a hour or so, and he taught me a trick on how to do it .... think I paid him $150 and was happy to do so ....
I would have been $$ ahead to just buy the sealed system.

What sounds so simple to do, turns into a aggravating situation fast .... there is a reason why sealed systems are sold.

Old Today, 05:11 PM
Spacehog

Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful. Appreciated. ...and quick too.

It's always nice when another light bulb in your head lights up although I feel a bit dumb. I should've known what that was from experience. I've done brake masters, line kits, wheel cyls, calipers, various bleed jobs, clutches, linkage kits, front end linkage, etc but all on older 60s - 70s vehicles. It should've been simply obvious what that piece was when I looked at it.

Anyway, seems like the complete kit is the way to go. I'm sold on that idea.
Rock Auto has Luk and Centric. From what I've read, I should go with Luk (or any other Made-in-America brand I find).
What a sad coincidence that the acronym for Made in America is M.I.A. American parts have been missing in action for too long. We need American parts again!

Thanks again.

Old Today, 05:57 PM
Los_Control

I will be honest, I do not understand it at all .... I have worked on the old truck's clutch system several times with no problems.
I did have a 1960 D100 and worked on that clutch ..... I also had a 1961 2 ton truck .... I replaced the clutch in that one .... I have dealt with clutch slave cylinders in the past.
I also had foreign trucks and it was never a issue to bleed the slave cylinder. ..... Until I bought a 1990's vehicle.

Old Today, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,310 Likes on 3,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Los_Control
I will be honest, I do not understand it at all .... I have worked on the old truck's clutch system several times with no problems.
I did have a 1960 D100 and worked on that clutch ..... I also had a 1961 2 ton truck .... I replaced the clutch in that one .... I have dealt with clutch slave cylinders in the past.
I also had foreign trucks and it was never a issue to bleed the slave cylinder. ..... Until I bought a 1990's vehicle.
There is certainly a trick to it, but, after fighting with a couple at the shop, the boss looked at me crosseyed, and asked me why didn't just get the pre-bled system...... Not like they cust that much more, and they are dead easy to change...... After doing ONE, I was sold.

The following users liked this post:
Los_Control (Today)

Quick Reply: Clutch Hydraulic Line Broken Fitting at Trans