2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle, misfire

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:01 PM
Ram 1998
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle, misfire

Hello looking for help on figuring out my problem on 1998 ram 1500 5.9 magnum.
So I randomly have a misfire or rough idle. The truck can be idling for hours and everything is good, shut it off and start right away again it will sit for a minute and will start misfiring and at times will stall. When it stalls fire it up right away and it will idle normal for hours. When it does misfire if you throttle it it goes away for a minute and then again misfire until you shut it off and re start it, and everything is back to normal.

Full Engine rebuild 1000 Miles ago. (It did that before rebuild as well) All new sensors - map, IAC, TPS, crank shaft position, new distributor, wires, coil. Then I read that it could be coolant temperature sensor, replaced that and still same problem. Timing was set. T stat replaced.
Any advice will be much appreciated!
Thanks
​​​​

Old Today, 10:55 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 332 Likes on 314 Posts

Has a check engine light come on? If so, are there any pending or stored codes displayed via an OBD2 scanner?

Quick Reply: Rough idle, misfire