2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Popping out of 4WD uphill 2001 Automatic 5.9l

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 09:43 PM
geoarch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping out of 4WD uphill 2001 Automatic 5.9l

Today my 2001 1500 5.9 L (172,000 miles) popped out of 4WD going up a long (~2-miles), steep mountain (rough dirt road, some mud). I put it back in, and it popped out again (with grinding). I put it back in 2WD on shifter and it would not move uphill.. I thought I was dead in the water and put it in reverse, backed down most of mountain. Turned around to limp home. Tried to put it in 1st to slow down and grinded and slipped out (with grinding). Left it in Drive and it worked (but had to use brakes down the hill and they got hot). Over a decade ago I had the OEM transmission replaced with another OEM transmission. This transmission has slipped before at highway speeds on the interstate while pulling a horse trailer years ago, but I just stopped hauling with it. Was fine for day to day use.
What do you think? Where should I start? Vacuum line, Transfer Case, or Transmission?
Thanks!
Teresa.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 384 Likes on 361 Posts

When you say "popped out" did the 4X4 light go out? Do you have wild vents?

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 119 Posts

Worn range fork in t-case. Order a rebuild kit.

Although FIRST check motor mounts and the shift linkage itself. If those appear tight, it's your range fork and possibly your 4wd fork, too. The former selects hi/low/neutral and the latter just elects to power the front output, or not.

edit: rebuild kits will include shift fork PADS but not the forks themselves. If you can wait, open the case and figure out exactly what you need, then order parts. I'd probably get a chain, too.

The following users liked this post:
geoarch (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
geoarch

Originally Posted by Moparite
When you say "popped out" did the 4X4 light go out? Do you have wild vents?
Hi,
The 4WD light went out and the shifter moved out of 4wd. I don't know what wild vents are.

Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
geoarch

I googled wild vents and found a description and my truck probably does have them. The AC and heater air does switch around. I call it character.
I will try the check valves first.
Thanks for your help.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
geoarch

Thanks! I will start poking around. Luckily this is not my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Popping out of 4WD uphill 2001 Automatic 5.9l