2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hypertech?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006 | 09:57 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Default RE: Hypertech?

shott- you said it was a plug in under the dash, hand held type thing. however i looked at the hypertech website and downloaded the installation instructions for my truck and its definately not hand held plug in. you have to intsall it under the hood plugged into the computer and leave it there. i guess the programmer for the 95 is a little bit different than whichever year you have? at the same time- has anyone on here used the one im talkin about for the 95? im wondering about gettin it and wanna know some peoples opinions.

also for that specific programmer it says you can only use 93 octane (not 89).

Old 02-11-2006 | 12:05 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

shott- you said it was a plug in under the dash, hand held type thing. however i looked at the hypertech website and downloaded the installation instructions for my truck and its definately not hand held plug in. you have to intsall it under the hood plugged into the computer and leave it there. i guess the programmer for the 95 is a little bit different than whichever year you have? at the same time- has anyone on here used the one im talkin about for the 95? im wondering about gettin it and wanna know some peoples opinions.

also for that specific programmer it says you can only use 93 octane (not 89).

its cuz you have a 95 the OBDll dident come in untill 96 so anything 96 and newer will have the OBDll port under the dash anything older than that will half to plug into the pcm as a piggy back because its OBDl (older technollagy)

Old 02-11-2006 | 12:40 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

anyone know if the piggybacks are as good as the plug in programmers? or as safe?- i know the programmers can be returned to stock settings- would that work if i had to just to unplug it?

Old 02-11-2006 | 02:04 AM
shott8283

i havnt heard anything good from any of the piggybacks..its best to get the programer b/c then you can adjust it when ever you want..tire size and read and clear dtcs (if your odometer doesnt do it..big plus)

i just orderd my hypertech ..should be here rightquick and in a hurry... got my MSD system in the mail today too...its like friggen christmass at my house... now i just ogtta decide on what fans i need to get and im ready to start tearing in

Old 02-11-2006 | 02:18 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you. how come your going to eletric fans?

and back to the topic on hand i havent herd much good about the piggybacks ither there isent much in the way of programers for the OBDl setup

Old 02-11-2006 | 02:29 AM
shott8283

the main reason im going electric fans because... if you think abou tit... lookin at the engine bay and that HUGE fan shroud takes upa BUTTload of space..if i go electric that leaves room for me to stand in ther and work on the motor and stuff without haveing to be an any awkward position and uncomfortable...

another is the possiblity of loosing the viscus fan .. robbing hp and mileage... some say yay some say nay... but it isnt the main reason why im doing it so if i dont end up gaining anything but space (my main reason) i still end up reaching my main goal...

and its just another project for me to do and i love working on my truck ...

Old 02-11-2006 | 02:34 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

sounds like fun are they gonna be theromostatic or on a switch? youll half to let us know how it goes and maby some pics would be good to know and if you see any hp/mpg gains i think its one on those things pepole will always argue about like the tailgate myth or K&N FPK

Old 02-11-2006 | 04:43 PM
mustang_170556
Professional

how could people argue the fact that it wouldn't increase mpg and hp by adding an electric fan. it's common sense that if the engine is using less of it's power to run things then horsepower would be freed up. that goes hand in hand with the fact that it would be more effiecient thus better gas mileage

Old 02-11-2006 | 11:07 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

i dont wanna steel the thred or start an argument i dont really have an opion one way or the outer - ive never tryed an eletric fan some pepole say however that it makes your alt harder because there is more draw now like i sed i dont know ive never looked into it and never tryed it ither

Old 02-12-2006 | 01:30 AM
radwebster
Captain

you don't get something for nothing. to power the electric fans, you are sucking more power from your battery. to keep your battery charged, your alternator needs to work harder, and of course your alternator is powered off of an engine driven belt.

thats not to say that you wont gain power. the engine driven fan does kill alot more power than the electric fans will. but dont confuse being more efficent with getting free cooling power.

also, if you take your truck through mud or alot of standing water, standard electric cooling fans could have problems with shorting out and dying on ya. i'm pretty sure they make special water proofed electic fans for applications like those.
i got my truck stuck in water up over the front wheels. electric fans would have been almost totally submerged and might have died on me. stock fan keeps turning though...

Quick Reply: Hypertech?