2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installed head unit...now dont have any "thump"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Black97Sport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed head unit...now dont have any "thump"

Alright....I installed a clarion headunit...got it cheap from a friend and my stocker wasnt playing cd's to well. Anyways, got it all installed and 1 thing I notice is that I dont have much bass with the unit installed. Even with the bass cranked up...I will admit the sound is 100% clearer and its a world of a difference, Im just trying to figure out why I dont have some "thump"?

Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Installed head unit...now dont have any "thump"

make sure the built in crossovers arnt adjusted out of spec

Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Black97Sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: shott8283

make sure the built in crossovers arnt adjusted out of spec

fill me in....Im not fully technically inclined on all the sound stuff lol...

Old 03-11-2006, 01:06 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

did you get the manual for hte HU when youg ot it from your friend? if so browse through it and search for a built in equilizer... if so then adjust the EQ to your liking...

i doubt thats your problem..when the 12V constant is taken away from the HU.. it tends to loose its stored memory ..

are the wires connected correctly? ie: the signal for the rear speakers are routed to the front/stock tweeters?

Old 03-11-2006, 05:40 AM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

Remember that the factory HU is a high power unit.
Not saying the replacement isn't any good, but the output may not be as powerful. A stereo system is just that. A system. Everything has to work well with each other. A 100 watt speaker is going to sound better matched with a HU pushing 100watt per channel than with a HU pushing 40 watts per channel, for example. I like the Sony Xplodes. Both vehicles have them. Lots of power and great fine tuning.
Now, there are a couple models. I bought the best ones which did bump the price up, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
The 6X9s in the doors may be capped to prevent the speakers from blowing.
Try a new set of Polk Audio or Infinity.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:35 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MikeNAmyS

Remember that the factory HU is a high power unit.
Not saying the replacement isn't any good, but the output may not be as powerful. A stereo system is just that. A system. Everything has to work well with each other. A 100 watt speaker is going to sound better matched with a HU pushing 100watt per channel than with a HU pushing 40 watts per channel, for example. I like the Sony Xplodes. Both vehicles have them. Lots of power and great fine tuning.
Now, there are a couple models. I bought the best ones which did bump the price up, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
The 6X9s in the doors may be capped to prevent the speakers from blowing.
Try a new set of Polk Audio or Infinity.

1. Any after market head unit will more than likely ALWAYS have more power than a factory receiver.
2. Head Units will not push 100 watts per channel.
I would also guess that maybe a wire got switched to make the speaker out of phase. I have also seen this tho and I think it has to do with the way the radios are set up. I think I read somewhere that factory radios boost the lower frequencies more than aftermarket but I cant remeber why.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Black97Sport
Professional

Well I did some playing around this morning and noticed when I turn all the sound back to either side of the rear speakers, the pas. side I get a tiny little sound out of it and the driver side rear, I get hardly any at all. So thats where I am screwed up, I am going to check the wiring around, but im 99% sure I have it all wired correctly. That is the reason Im getting the "high" tones, from the front speakers and tweeter...any guesses? Im at work so I dont have time to play with it till after work, but Ill see what I can find

Old 03-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Same thing happaned to me. I dunno why and I never really got it fixxed because I have 2 12" subs. It would be nice to gt fixxed though...

Old 03-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Black97Sport
Professional

Yeah....if I get some decent $$ from my factory cd player on ebay...Im going to go ahead and put a single 12" sub and amp in the truck to take care of the problem...but Id love to get it fixed somehow

Old 03-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Black97Sport
Professional

Anyone else have a problem with this when they installed a head unit or had a head unit installed?

Quick Reply: Installed head unit...now dont have any "thump"