2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed WaterPump and now overheating.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Viper32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changed WaterPump and now overheating.....

No I do not think the therm is upside down. Its with the spring part towards the block. I am at a loss, anyways I flushed the radiator tonight and will refill and try again tomorrow afternoon. I have a electric fan I bought and may install it tomorrow if time allows. That will atleast tell me whether the clutch fan is bad or not. It does not seem to be but who knows.

Mark

Old 03-16-2006, 01:16 AM
MARC276CA

you have not mentioned if you get boil over! water boils at 212deg, when replacing therm it is possible to disrupt coolant temp snsrswiring , did you measure coolant temp with a thermometer??
also an easy way to bleed coolin syst is to remove 1 heater hose and plug core , fill system and allow air to escape while fillin system

Old 03-16-2006, 01:23 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MARC276CA

you have not mentioned if you get boil over! water boils at 212deg, when replacing therm it is possible to disrupt coolant temp snsrswiring , did you measure coolant temp with a thermometer??
also an easy way to bleed coolin syst is to remove 1 heater hose and plug core , fill system and allow air to escape while fillin system

geez and i thought my posts were hard to understand lol

well water duz boil at 212 water with antyfreeze boils at a much higer temp so it mostlikley wont boil over if he is using a 50/50 mix since he is only getting upto 240

Old 03-16-2006, 01:30 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i can tell ya the elec fan setup prolly ownt help ya... if your truck is overheating at higher speeds on the road but staying cool at idle/park then you know your original fan is working .... and in the case that your cluctch fan is bad... its highley unlikley that its cuasing your overheating while driving.(unless your temps outside are above 60-70). my elec fans dont even kick on while im driving..with the cold air form the outside rushing in and through the rad does the trick...im sure during the summer that will change but for now if i dont sit and idle longer then 45 mins then i actually dont require any fans at all right now (untill it starts to get hotter then 60 like the other day ..wierd weather latley)

im still shooting for that lower rad hose not being structured in the inside of it

Old 03-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Viper32

Well Ifinally found a factory hose at local dealer will be here tomorrow. I will change that also to see if that helps.......... Also can you leave the tee thing inline after you finish flushing the system or do you think I should remove it? Would be convenient to stay there for future use. Also may be a way to bleed system when refilling possibly, any suggestions on that?

Mark

Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id just leave it there unless it leaks

Old 03-19-2006, 02:43 AM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

Yes, you leave it in.
I'd go ahead and flush the system then loosen the lower hose and drain it out.
Reinstall the new hose and begin filling the radiator with the cap off the tee, watching it until coolant starts to come out.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Viper32

Well guys I got it all back together and it runs great and does not overheat during normal driving. But when I pull my 14 ft. Cargo Trailer I still get up to about 220-225. Maybe this is the normal I do not know but below is everything I did to it.

1. New WaterPump
2. 180 Thermo
3. Rad and Block Flush (Twice)
4. New Extreme Duty Clutch Fan
5. Cleaned Rad. Fins
6. New upper and lower Rad hose (Gates)
7. New Trans Cooler (Big Imperial)

Mark

Old 03-19-2006, 01:30 PM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

Pulling anything with some weight will increase the temp.
Maybe a flexlite aftermarket fan can help.
If it gets too bad, you may want to go with a bigger radiator.
I never looked how many rows are in the factory.
If its 2, go with three.3? go to 4.
Mine pushes to 220 with the boat on, but thats on the more serious hills which are abundant where I live.

Quick Reply: Changed WaterPump and now overheating.....