2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

???? PLUGS & WIRES

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:32 PM
rockdodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ???? PLUGS & WIRES

This is great. Better than dealers pushing product.

Ok, PLugs returned, tbs returned.

MSD 8.5 wires - added to shopping list

Autolite 3923 plugs - added to shopping list

Exhaust - Added to list
I don't want to have the really loud set from flowmaster. I still have to use my truck for more than just play.
So what type should I use?

Cap & Rotor - added to list
But what brand should I be looking for?

Any other low cost improvements (<$1000) that I should or could make?

Old 03-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Exhaust - you can get a Flowmaster 50 series suv dual out muffler that will be quieter than the 40's that most of us have. Or go with a 3" single system with a Gibson or comparable perf. muffler. Cap and rotor - just get the good one from NAPA. it has the brass contacts on the cap. About $15 for the set. Good choice on the MSD wires. One thing you will need to know - the new wires on these trucks have to be routed exactly as the factory wires were to prevent crossfiring. The MSD's help with this - but the 8.5's won't fit in the fact. wire holders, so you will need to drill enlarge the factory ones or get some at the store that will fit the bigger wires. The other mods I would suggest are the two that made the most difference on mine - the Fastman Throttle Body, and a Hypertech programmer. Fastman is $225 + core charge if you mention DF. There is a link posted in this forum for a Hypertech for $283 shipped. Forum search should be able to find it.

In order for us to help you better, you need to post a "signature" with your truck information on it. See mine for reference. Go to user control panel and go to the sig part and fill in your info - then check the box "always add signature".

Old 03-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Spike7ss
Veteran

I definatly recommend Autolite plugs, even there platinum are far superior to BOSCH, and the price is right.

I have seen many plugs and Autolite makes a very decent plug.

Napa wires are okay too, the belden ones I think are there top line of house brand

[&:]

Old 05-08-2006, 12:20 AM
rockdodger

OK Guys. I've got some of this stuff. And I'd like to thank you all for your help.

For those of you who have made the mods that I have listed, what kind of MPG are you getting? And what kind of ponies are you getting to the wheels?

I know some of you have more stuff done, but I'd like the data from guys who have doing the same as I have.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Another mod that I have done since I last posted on this thread that made a big difference is changing to a 180 degree thermostat. Really "woke up" the other mods. Get the NAPA Premium 180 t-stat for $6.99 and change it. I'm getting 14 highway now and about 12.8 city........I think the tstat switch is more effective if you have the Hypertech programmer - but it should help some even if you don't. I read somewhere on here that the optimum engine temp for max power and efficiency is 182 degrees - I have really noticed the difference since changing to a 180....

Old 05-09-2006, 06:11 AM
helmsa
Professional

Selecting plugs and wires is subject to opinion. Personally, I am a fan of NGK plugs and Taylor .409" wires (10.5 mm), especially if you plan to upgrade your ignition and coil...but like I said, this is all a matter of personal opinion.

Quick Reply: ???? PLUGS & WIRES