2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

???? PLUGS & WIRES

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:33 PM
rockdodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???? PLUGS & WIRES

Help!!!
I got the cold air kit. Got the Throttle Body Spacer.
Getting the Exhaust.
Now I am wondering if plugs and wires are in order. Any thoughts??
What other parts should I consider replacing or upgrading?

Old 03-19-2006, 12:06 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Default RE: ???? PLUGS & WIRES

ok unless you've got a carb.. return the spacer and get your money back.

how many miles do you have on it?

if you've got over 60k without doing the plugs and wires and cap, i'd seriously consider doing them.

tranny shift kits, lifts, drops, tires, wheels, audio, nerf bars, brush guards, bull bar, etc..

there are many many options out there. search google for some ideas. there many many sites with different companies and different stuff on them.

here's some to start looking at. www.ramtrucktoys.com, www.hifisoundconnection.com, www.truckaddons.com, www.aftermarketperformanceparts.com, and many more.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Agreed, return the TB spacer. It does nothing [&:] If you can't reutn it sell it on eBay to some other sucker and get what you can out of it to buy something else.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep I'd do the plugs if you have over 50k on it . I like MSD wires and Autolite plugs.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Over 50k - Replace the dist. cap and rotor with a good one with brass contacts (NAPA has them) You can go with expensive MSD 8.5mm wires (mine were $90) or just get the best you can get at NAPA or other parts store. Just don't get the cheap ones. I, and several other guys on here use Champion Truck Plugs. Plan on about 2 - 3 hours to change cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. The cap is a bit@#H to get to. You will have to run each wire 1 at a time and make sure you route them the factory way or you will have trouble with crossfiring. I would suggest a FAstman Throttle Body and a Hypertech Programmer for future mods.

PUT THE TB SPACER DOWN, AND SLOWLY WALK AWAY..............SEND IT BACK TO WHERE IT CAME FROM....QUICKLY!!!!!![sm=boink3.gif]

Old 03-21-2006, 06:03 PM
eslock

why would you need to replace the cap and rotor, im about to do my plugs and wires and i was just goin to go to car quest tell them what truck and motor and take what they give me is that alright? im not tryin to spend 90 dollars on wires, are the plugs really all that different

how much for cap and rotor

Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Alot of people use a plug that is one step colder than stock to help with detonation (the ping problem you are having). I use autolite 3923's. The cap and rotor are relatively cheap compared to the headache of having to go back there again- the dark hole where your distributor is located I mean. Sometimes just taking what the Autozone/Advance/Car Quest monkeys give you is not the way to go.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

A good cap and rotor - make sure the contacts are brass - is about $10 - 15. When you find it, you will know why you want to change it at the same time as the wires. The cap and rotor contacts will be all kinds of corroded inside. Kind of pointless to change one without doing it all. Decent wires should cost between $30 & 50. Don't get the cheapest ones they have!!!!!! Like I said, you dont have to spend $90 on wires like I did - but don't skimp on junk. When you do this project you will see why it pays to get good stuff and only do it once........

Old 03-22-2006, 12:02 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i couldnt agree more!!!! i bought a set of 60$ bosche wires that started to wear out and arc after 15,000 miles... now i got the MSD wires and they are nice!!! look perrrrty too!... dont skimp on parts... unless you have no other choice!!! id suggest using the SEARCH option and start reading ... this forum/website has an UNBELEIVABLE amount of information... id say (and some would agree) that this site is worth more then any dodge dealership... i forgot how many times i went to a stealership and they tell me a load of bullsnot that would cost me loads...

Quick Reply: ???? PLUGS & WIRES