2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering stabilizer

hey guys.

my birthdays in about a week and i asked my parents for a little bit of cash instead of the usual shirts and pants that they always get me (which i never end up liking anyways)

so now instead of dreaming about what my truck will look like with a small lift, im about to order it. my question is, im gettin a 3 inch lift (coil spacers front, blocks back, new shocks all around) and i was wondering if ill need a steering stabilizer. its a lift kit from topguncustomz.com, and their ebay store (exact same lift as on their own site) is offering a steering stabilizer for 29 dollars. is this worth it? will i need it? thanx

Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Chopper1
All Star
Default RE: steering stabilizer

Just a thought.. Do they have the kit with a add-a-leaf instead of the blocks for the rear. Still inexpensive but it can handle loads a lot better. Never thought much of it at the time, but sure comes in handy now with trailer. No more squat..

I'm sure others have opinions on this too. Mostly depends on if you carry stuff much. I did notice that you had a load of mulch the other day.

A steering stabilizer is a good thing. Just don't overdue it. Dual stabilizers without huge tires will cause steering do drag.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:08 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yes, they have the add a leaf. but aal sounds much harder to me than blocks, and i dont have an extensive set of tools to do this with. maybe you can help me- what alls involved with aal's? do i have to take out the entire leaf pack? its only 35 bucks more (if i remember right) so the price isnt THAT big a deal, but it seems harder to me, and being my first time installing a lift, ease is important.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Go here, http://www.gorancho.com/support/inst...ions_dodge.stm and click on sheet #88015. Go to page 9.
Need two good C-clamps. I went slow to make sure nothing took off. Was my first one also.

Depends on your preference on the ride stiffness. The 33" tires don't rub. Mine did before I lifted it.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Here is a good photo for the add a leaf instruction. It is your judgement call, but it will stiffen up the ride.

I got the rancho sport for the cost. I have talked to several guys that say the Skyjacker, softride shocks are not as bad as the Rancho 5000 ones that I have. Rides rough. Does good off road but around town forget about using the drink holder with an open drink. Keeps the wife from driving it though.

Another helpful tip. Before loosening the lower arm front eccentric(however you spell it), scibe/scratch a mark across it, so when you put it back together you can set it back to where it was. I lucked out and the alignment shop didn't have to adjust.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29187/FAB73A9EA1EE4A87812D8147938354CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

thank you, that picture was a huge help. i hate to bother you but im wondering if you know where i can find something similar to that for installing blocks. just trying to figure out what i'm getting myself into before i start this.

right now im kind of stuck, i know add a leafs are a little better (as you said for towing), but their a little more expensive. not a whole lot, but i still have to buy a torque wrench and jackstands. and, well, yea- high schooler, crappy paying job, moneys not really pouring in[&:]

and finally my last question (for now). ive heard that AAL's tend to settle quickly and may not provide as much lift as you need/want. and the last thing i want is the front end of my truck higher than the back end. anybody know anything about this?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:43 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ok before anyone else even posts i have ANOTHER question- ha. sorry guys, but at the same time, thanx for your help and patience.

ok so im lookin at 3 inch lift kits, and i thought i had found one until i realized i wanted leaf springs, (by the way chopper, the leaf springs arent able to be swapped in for the blocks like i thought they could be[&:]) anyways im plannin on piecing together my own kit to save a little bit of money. but some of these kits come with upper and lower control arms and some dont. some of the sites say their needed for proper alignment, some sites say they ARENT required!!!!!!! im so confused. will i need them or not?!?! thanx again for alllll this help

Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2001 off road 1500 with 2" spacers in the front and I didn't need new control arms. It sits about 4" over regular 1500's and I am still running all stock steering parts. Also, I have add a leafs in the rear and am glad I got them. Now when I carry a load, the rear end does not sag at all. The other day I had 800lbs. of stone in the bed and the rear only dropped a 1/4". The AAL are very easy to install also, really only an extra two steps over installing new blocks.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I dunno, I don't think you need them but they're probably a good idea, and can always be added later. (Control Arms I mean)

Did you say you need a torque wrench?! Don't waste your money! Good 'n tight is all you need for most things lol. SOme things you really do want to tq down to the right specs but for a lift I'd say if you don't have one save your money until you have a bit extra and buy one.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you dont have any of your offroading buddys that have some stuff to let you borrow? also autozone ( i think its autozone..either that or advanced) have a tool loan program..you might wanna look into that as an option to get some of the tools you dont ahve and you need

Quick Reply: steering stabilizer