2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A 3rd Gen CTD caught our eye tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Two60s98
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 3rd Gen CTD caught our eye tonight...

We were driving through town tonight, and a '05 CTD Ram caught our eye. We know we want one eventually, to act as a better tow rig for the Jeeps, but have been waiting to better afford one. Now we see this one, and want to see what the used car dealer is asking for it. Not sure of a few things, like the mileage, or price cause they're closed. Here's what we do know:

'05 2500 Cummin Turbo Diesel Ram
Silver w/ Ghost flames
33x12.50x17 Mickey Thompsons (pretty bald)
Eagle Alloy Wheels
Billet Inserts
Clear corners and tail lights
Sprayed bedliner
Billet Gas Door
Chrome Flamed Windshield Rear View Mirror (would have to go)
Superlift Shocks (not sure if it's lifted or if it's just shocks)
Neon Tube Lights under the bed rails (those would have to go as well)

Does anyone know if the 17" wheels are standard on '05 2500s? Wonder if our 285/75R16 ones would swap onto it without problems. I'm concerned about the baldness of the tires. Either it has high mileage, or the previous owner had a lead foot.

We always wanted a silver rig, but there does seem to be alot of them on the road. Almost too many. The ghost flames are one reason why this one stood out. That, and all of the things it already had, which I would want to add on to a truck. So, if the price isn't scarey, and the mileage isn't crazy, and our current wheels and tires will fit over the '05s rotors, we may be upgrading tow rigs earlier than expected.

Like I said... we're unsure of this thing has been lifted or not. Forgot to see if the front coils had the stock P/N tags on them. In the rear, I noticed what looks like three pieces of thin steel stacked in between the leafs and the facotry blocks. Not sure if this was an add-on or not. Maybe someone knows.

Here's some pics:

Old 03-26-2006, 04:09 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Default RE: A 3rd Gen CTD caught our eye tonight...

looks like it has a 3 or 4 inch lift compared to that f-250 and dodge 4x4 beside it.. thats a very nice truck! but expect to pay atleast 40k for that thing!!!

Old 03-26-2006, 04:44 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea id see in the upper 30's to 40;s for that rig... looks like its got a 2" or 3" on it.. on the back you got the block ..not sure about the front but from the pics it looks level so it may have a level kit... could also have a block and a AAL ..who knows with out taking a really good look at it

that thing is sittin wicked... them flames are nasty too... couldnt imagin the monthly payment on that beast...but it sure woudl be fun as hell...the rims are sick...i can see what you talkin about the baldness on the tires.. may need new rubs soon... id tell the dealer to get some on there if you try to go for it... kinda chincy if they try to sell you a truck with bald tires on it..infact i think its illegal...

im not sure about that backyard 1" lift i see on that block..it may work well...not sure though..pavementsucks guys would have a hayday with that pic!

Old 03-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Please delete this

I cant stop drooling

And 17s are the only factory sized rims for the 2500

17x7 (steel)
17x8, steel, road wheel
17x8, steel, spare
17x8, alum, exc. Power Wagon
17x8, alum, Power Wagon

Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Thats a sharp rig!

Old 03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

ORIGINAL: Spike7ss

Please delete this

I cant stop drooling
I second that.. Hehe

Old 03-26-2006, 03:21 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Looks to me like it's lifted too...not just the shocks. The coils could be stock, but they may have a spacer installed.

As far as the tires, I'd say it's a combination of the driver having a lead foot...and running Mickey Thompsons on the road 90% of the time, which they aren't good for.

The thing I'd be concerned about would be the rust! The front driveshaft...the shocks...the leafs...how'd that truck get that rusty that fast? [&:] My truck is 12 years old, and even it's not that bad when it comes to the driveshaft and the leaf springs....and it was in Oregon for 3 years...and Florida by the salty sea for 8 years. [>:] Maybe that's just something I'm concerned with though...I don't like seeing cancer...surface or otherwise. It's probably because I live where I do, and see a lot of nice vehicles all rusted out [:'(]

Old 03-26-2006, 03:44 PM
cableguy
Professional

That is one tuff lookin truck. 35-38000 for sure. Use those tires to beat them down a little, or ask them to replace them.They're not gonna want to put the cash out, so maybe they'll work with you. Good luck on it.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Two60s98
Professional

Yeah, I went back today with my tire depth gauge... 3/32" on the rears, and 2/32" on the fronts. We don't let our base fleet vehicles go below 3 and 4/32".

Anyone heard of a law against selling a vehicle with bald tires? I'm sure there is one out there.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:36 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

im almost postive...its either federal or state local laws but the tires have to have enough tread to pass an inspection and added mileage... or osmething like that... ill call my dad and ask him..he's a cop and would know..not sure about your state but atleast it will give you a good idea..

Quick Reply: A 3rd Gen CTD caught our eye tonight...