2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

found my answer for the 180stat stat and computer learning

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:57 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default found my answer for the 180stat stat and computer learning

found this written up at the dodgeram.org site... really really intersting and answered my question on how exactly doesn the stat afffect the computer... this was taken off of the dodgeram.org's site im quoting so i dont **** anyone off

"A cooler 180 degree thermostat and cooler intake air will reduce the tendency to ping at part-throttle. The 180 not only causes the truck to run cooler (reducing the intake air charge temp), but it also causes the truck to run cooler (this fools the computer, which believes that the truck is not completely warmed up so it runs a richer air\fuel mix).
Some have even used a 170 degree thermostat. Each 5 degrees of thermostat drop is supposed to be about like adding 1 Octane number to that of whatever gasoline you are using. The 170 thermostat may set a fault code for "Engine operating temperature not achieved in specified time" and illuminate the "Check Engine" light. Some have experienced this, others have not set the fault code.
According to Dakota Power Secrets in the January 1999 issue of Mopar Muscle, the Magnum thermostat is rated at 195 degrees F. The engine controller is designed to make maximum power at 182 deg F. Especially with a high performance engine computer, the engine generates high combustion chamber temperatures under heavy throttle conditions and this heat is transferred to the coolant above the chamber. The hot coolant forms air pockets that create combustion chamber hot spots; engine ping is the result. Dropping the thermostat to 185 or 180 degrees will stop most of the coolant pocketing, and the engine fuel economy and power will improve"

really intersting to say the least....

Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: found my answer for the 180stat stat and computer learning

That is interesting

Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 PM
silverram99
Captain

That is really interesting. I knew that the 180 thermostat made a difference in the gas mileage my truck was getting but I really didnt understand why it worked so well.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
eslock

so a 180 tstat makes the engine run cooler, and produces more power while getting BETTER gas milage. and i belive they are only about 15 bucks. is it a noticiable amount of power. ?whats the catch? what kind of gas do you need to use?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:00 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

are they hard to install?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:03 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: eslock

so a 180 tstat makes the engine run cooler, and produces more power while getting BETTER gas milage. and i belive they are only about 15 bucks. is it a noticiable amount of power. ?whats the catch? what kind of gas do you need to use?
Exactly. This isnt the type of modification that will make power like say a supercharger or anything like that. I actually doubt if you will notice much increase in power but it will increase your gas mileage and keep your motor running cooler. Really there is no catch to it and the cooler engine temp will help reduce pinging, so you wont have to run premium or anything. I usually run 89 in my truck but that is because 89 ethanol is cheaper than regular 87 in Kansas.

Check out this link for any ?'s on how to install the thermostat: https://dodgeforum.com/m_426502/tm.htm

Old 03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yea, i followed that thread while people where still posting on it.

but to really understand that thread, you have to know the basics about how to install it already- such as why/wehre you would drill anyways??

does anyone have a very simple, general overview of how to install it?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
silverram99
Captain

I don't know of any way to explain swapping the thermostat. It is really a straight forward, what you see is what you get kind of mod. I guess I should have taken pictures and submitted it to DYI when I did mine. Really all that you need to do is drain the radiator, unhook the top radiator hose and then take the thermostat housing off. Then pull the thermostat out, clean the gasket material off of the housing and the block and install a new gasket and put the housing back on. Then you let the air out by letting the truck run with the radiator cap off and keep topping off the antifreeze until the radiator is full.

The hole that everyone talks about goes in the metal disc that is part of the thermostat. You can drill it anywhere around that thin flat disc. It just makes it easier for air to escape and decreases the chances of getting an air bubble in the system.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

thank you!

havin never taken an autoshop class or anything, i need people to dumb it down for me every now and then. thanx.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:40 PM
jrmcx
Rookie

Hope link works:

http://home.insightbb.com/%7Ejbenner/mods/180stat.htm

Quick Reply: found my answer for the 180stat stat and computer learning