2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 dodge 1500 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:23 PM
TheMercifulCOW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 dodge 1500 overheating

Ok so i got a 99 Dodge 1500 5.2L V8 2WD. I for the life of me can't quit getting it to overheat when i turn on the AC and i am idiling. If i have the AC off its fine and will never overheat. Also if i have the AC running but don't stop for a long period it won't overheat. But if i just sit there and run the AC it will get up to 250 within 5-10 minutes.

Things i have replaced.

Water pump
Thermostat
Fan Clutch
All hoses
Radiator flushed and refilled

Also heard a lot of people saying that the AC will blow hot when they are having it overheat but mine continues to blow cold even when overheating. Also if i turn on the heater when it starts and rev the engine to about 2-3k rpm it will cool down and return to normal temperature range.

I am at my wits end here on where to go now as i have replaced almost everything i can think of.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

I would be tempted to put a IR thermometer on the radiator, and see if you have cold spots. A flush won't necessarily clear clogged tubes.

Welcome to DF!