2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to get Mopar PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where to get Mopar PCM?

Anyone know where I can get a Mopar performance PCM for a '99. My usual contacts are telling me none are available from Mopar Chrysler, so I am hoping there are some resellers out there that might still have some in stock. Any ideas?

Old 05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
V10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where to get Mopar PCM?

Try http://www.campbellenterprises.com/dodgeram.htm Campbell has the best price on the net assuming they are still in stock.

Does anyone know why you can't tow with the Mopar PCM?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Watch on ebay, if you can't get a new one from anywhere. They pop up on there often. They were discontinued a few years back. I was lucky enough to score two for my Ram last year.

An alternative would be to get a flash from here: http://www.bgchrysler.com/Service/Hi...b_g_flash.html I may look into a flash for my truck once I get the headers on and a cam (which is a year or two down the road).

Towing is not recommended due to the timing advance. There's a chance that you could experience severe knock/detonation under a heavy load. I've towed a 3500# car on an 18' trailer already with no issue...of course the V10 is a lot like a diesel...it takes a lot to make the motor work hard. I would never tow anything over 7000# or so though, without swapping the stock computer back in. If you ran a 180 (or 160) T-stat, you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about.

I'd also think the shift point raise would have a negative effect on towing as well. From 4800 to 5200 RPMs on the V8 PCMs. But from what I've read, it doesn't. [>:]

Old 05-16-2006, 06:58 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

The shift points hit 52k at wot, so, unless you really nail it while towing, I wouldn't think you'd have anything to worry about there. They also do not recommend towing because of the potential to break drivetrain components. To smoothly apply torque to the drivetrain, the stock pcm pulls timing under heavy load/hard acceleration then puts it back as the truck comes up to speed. A performance pcm or flash does not do this. It just throws the motor's output right to it. If you are careful and go easy, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem towing, but, as The Burning Rom said if you try to pull to much you will get detonation.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Well, I only tow a small pop up camper that weighs at most about 2000lbs if that. I have had several conversations with B&G about the custom flash, just not sure about the inconveniece of having to mail them my PCM for a few days to get it flashed. Also, cost is a little higher, and the performance PCM for the 5.2 has almost as much timing advance as what they do in the custom flash, so results with it would be very close to what I would get with a flash.

I am also looking for a stock PCM that I can have as a spare for while mine is being flashed, if I decide to go that route.
With the Mopar PCM, I can always put my stock PCM back in when I tow.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I don't know about the Mopar pcm- never used one, but I have been very pleased with the B&G flash. I would say you're probably right though so long as the Mopar does not have torque management on it. If you do find a stock pcm, you may want to send them that one and keep yours. I sent them a pcm from a 2001 2500 to flash so it doesn't have to be an exact match.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopowar
To smoothly apply torque to the drivetrain, the stock pcm pulls timing under heavy load/hard acceleration then puts it back as the truck comes up to speed. A performance pcm or flash does not do this. It just throws the motor's output right to it.
Ah yes, I forgot...they also got rid of the torque management. [8D]

The TQ management on the early 3rd gen HEMIs is really bad [:'(]

Old 05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

So the Mopar PCM does not have torque management?

Old 05-16-2006, 08:06 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

For our trucks...????. I have heard it does and that it doesn't. I think the guy at B&G says it doesn't, but then he is selling his deal. I have read in other forums that it does and that it doesn't. Who knows? I know the B&G flash gets rid of it.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I know the B&G flash and the cam cal flash get rid of it.

I've never found any info that says the MP PCM doesn't have it. But I've also never felt the effects of it in my truck. It could be because of the PCM, or it could be because of the age of my truck. It's pre-electronic transmission. TM may have been something added with ODBII...or with the 46/47RE transmissions. [>:] I'm not sure when it was introduced, and I can't seem to find any info about it in my Powertrain Diagnostics Manual for my 94. [>:]

If it's there...it's very minimal. Not the horrible plague that it is on the 3rd Gen Rams [:'(]

Quick Reply: Where to get Mopar PCM?