2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roof and Hood Chipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
MagnumVP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof and Hood Chipping

I have a 1999 Flame Red Ram where the roof and now the hood's paint is beginning to flake down to the gray metal (someone told me that it was the e-paint, but I don't know).

I took it to a body shop and they told me that the rest of my truck (excluding the bed) is beginning to bubble and look rough. They also mentioned that eventually the rest of my truck will begin to flake and there is nothing that I can do.

I would like to keep the truck for at least 4-5 more years but want it to look good. I don't have $4K-$5K for a new paint job for the entire truck. Is there anything that I can do?

The body shop recommends that I just paint the roof and then continue to paint the parts as needed. However, I am not one to piece things together unless it is my last resort.

Help Please

Old 07-27-2006, 01:51 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Roof and Hood Chipping

here's one option for smaller chips, may not work on bubbling paint.

http://www.langka.com/

another thread... http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/17305

Old 07-27-2006, 01:54 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

Thank you for the information, however, the chipping is rather large (covers about 1/3 of the roof).

Is it possible that I can sand it and paint it with special paint? I'm just at a loss right not beacuse I really don't know what to do.

Any recommendations will help.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

always pick up a rattle can of it from the paint store or auto store. not the best paint job but if done right it looks decent enough for a daily driver. not going to win any shows with it.

usually auto stores have factory matching paint with some clear coat on there too and should be pretty good to go. just gotta do some sanding and priming. oh just gotta love body work.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Hey, forgot to extend a warm welcome to DF...

I didnt realize your chip was a peel... your best bet is to get the area repainted by a shop, or to do the whole truck. a co-worker friend of mine has a '95 which he just got repainted black last fall and his looks awesome, I think his paint job was in the $700~$1000 range but I cant be sure... I can ask him if you like.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

well someone else is experiencing what i am......... i know exactly what your talkin about, mines doing it as well. (95 model)

yea ive been lookin ever since i got this truck for a cheap way to paint it, and i dont think there is one. the only way to do it at an affordable price, itd probably be peeling again within a year. but $4k-5k is over the top for a paint job..... yea you can spend that much but you dont have to spend that to get a good one.

anyways just letting you know what ive found out after lookin for a solution for almost a year.

o yea just out of curiousity can you see it peeling off your hood? right now theres a heat wave where i live and i think its making it peel quicker cuz on really hot days once i get goin about 45-50 mph i can literally watch it peel off my hood. [&:]

Old 07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

That would be great if you could find out some information for me. I'm really in need. I want a nice looking truck and will pay for it, but since the truck is only worth about $8-$9K I can't see the benfit of putting a $4K paint job into it, the return isn't there.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:40 PM
RJlovesbeer
Rookie

yea i second the "over the top" notion on price....you should be able to get a quaility job done for around a grand. Not the easiest solution on the wallet, but I think it is the best option.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:41 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

Well at least I'm not the only one. I feel your pain. HEAT WAVE... The last 7 days has been over 110 here (Mid CA). I deal with heat every year during the summer, and I can see my hood getting worse.

I'm not sure what to do. As soon as I can take some pictures of the hood and roof I will post them. You would think that a paint job would last more than 6-7 years. According to the body shop I took it to, it was bad from the manufacture and there isn't anything I could have done to prevent it. I dont know, but if that is the case, why do I feel like I am the only one (along with you and your 95) having issues.

I took it to the dealership and they gave me the whole, "Gee I'm not sure what could have caused that. You might need to have it painted at a body shop. Here take it here." SO I took it where they said and that is where I got the "It was bad from the beginning."

Old 07-27-2006, 02:44 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

If I could find a job for $1 I'll sign up right now. The only issue is that I can find one that will give me at least some garentee of their work. I don't want to pay $1K then next year pay another $1K and contineu that trend.

ANyone know of any places that I can get a decent paint job. Maaco, Early Scheib, etc.... Maaco is in my city but have heard nothing but bad things from them.

Quick Reply: Roof and Hood Chipping