2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What oil and filter would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:37 AM
ASH
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What oil and filter would you use?

As for the Fram filters, there was a website I saw a few years back where a guy took several brands of filters apart and provided photographs showing the internal construction of the filters. He also measured the area of the filtering material and noted the type of matieral that they used for the filter. The basic Fram filters ranked lower than the others based on this analysis, the Tough-Guard filters were better built. I think this is what kicked off the "Fram is bad" talk that you hear. My summary is that the Fram filters aren't constructed as well as other brands of filters, but they aren't a horrible filter. Basically, it's a case of you get what you pay for. Fram filters are less expensive to buy. For myself, I have now decided to pay more for a higher quality product and switched to the Wix filters.

I used Fram filters for several years when I first purchased my Spirit with 30K miles on it. Changed the oil every 3k-4K miles. I put 10's of thousands of miles on the car before I switched away from the Fram filters. I now have over 170K miles on this car and the little 4-banger is still running great. So I don't think the Fram filters "hurt" my car. Once I did notice a fleck of orange paint on the rubber seal and another time there was a metal strand hanging on the threads of a new filter. I've read other stories about poor quality control and how these filters caused valvetrain tap on start-up, etc. Take such things with an open mind. Like magnum318 said, bobistheoilguy is a great forum for reading other's people's opinions on oil related products.

Just remember, we live in the greatest country on earth and are free to talk about and choose the products we want. Thank you to all the veteran's who gave us this freedom! I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ASH

As for the Fram filters, there was a website I saw a few years back where a guy took several brands of filters apart and provided photographs showing the internal construction of the filters. He also measured the area of the filtering material and noted the type of matieral that they used for the filter. The basic Fram filters ranked lower than the others based on this analysis, the Tough-Guard filters were better built. I think this is what kicked off the "Fram is bad" talk that you hear. My summary is that the Fram filters aren't constructed as well as other brands of filters, but they aren't a horrible filter. Basically, it's a case of you get what you pay for. Fram filters are less expensive to buy. For myself, I have now decided to pay more for a higher quality product and switched to the Wix filters. *snip*
Yes, I saw that website as well and that was a leading decision of mine to never use Fram again. All you were(are) paying for is the name and nothing more. IMHO, Wix is better because the boys racing at the tracks (dirt, pavement, and NASCAR) aren't going to skimp on an oil filter.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:56 PM
94RAM1500
Rookie

I run the (bigger) Dodge Viper filter, WIX brand and Mobil-1 15W-50.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:17 AM
BIGSEXY
Professional

been running Frams for 25 yrs on everything from my tractor to my roadrunner,never a problem.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:11 AM
magnum318
Rookie

ORIGINAL: BIGSEXY

been running Frams for 25 yrs on everything from my tractor to my roadrunner,never a problem.
Everyone has their own opinions and has the choice to choose what they want. This is all good, main thing is as long as it is filtering the oil well. Another great filter design is the anti-drainback valves, on our trucks or atleast mine where the filter is angled, it keeps oil in the filter for startups.
On a chevy you don't have to worry much on those and another is a good rubber or better by-pass valve. The higher end frams have both and look well, after my bad luck I wont go bnack to fram.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:17 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

Why 15w-50 wieght?

Old 08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
cattleman40

I use Royal Purple and K&N filter. Its a little expensive but well worth it. You will really notice a change at about 200 miles.

Quick Reply: What oil and filter would you use?