2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Flowmaster Exhaust - ~$200
31.82%
Magnaflow Cat - $159
11.36%
K&N CAI - $200
47.73%
Shift Kit - $109
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which mod should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which mod should i do first?

I havent heard many people complain about the CAI but I have yet to see any DYno numbers that proved to me that I should spend the money towards one of those.
I noticed absoloutley nothing when My buddy gave me his. There was no way I was going to buy one and Im glad I never did. The only thing I can say is that my engine ran 5 degrees cooler. But that was only because I made some airflow mods to my motor compartment and the K&N wind shield.
None of those mods will give you any power increase that will be earth shattering.

ORIGINAL: silverram99

Ripto, I don't mean to come across as an *** here but you are probably the only person I have ever heard complain about their K&N CAI. It is a good first mod, my MPG has increased almost 3 mpg since I installed mine and the performance has definently increased.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Chopper1
All Star

I have to agree with RAM IT. The motor just needs more cool air. Before I spend 300. on a plastic tube, I'll get some PVC, rubber connector, clamp and a filter, and fab one up. OOps, the PVC idea is already taken. OK a dryer vent hose then....

Just get a good quality or K&N filter and let the air in. Have to admit, the filter box is not the greatest, but the air source from the fender is as close to a scoop as it gets with out rain in the engine compartment.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Terran
Professional

Well you see what i'm saying thought, i want to run 87 octane, especially at 12mpg, but i don't see a hypertech programmer being a good first mod, the whole question is, what's the best first mod when i can only afford one every couple of months. Or should i just get a tonneau cover for the winter? lol

Old 10-09-2006, 01:26 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Terran

tonneau cover

would probably be best for gas mileage anyways

Old 10-09-2006, 01:41 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Hey guys... a topic may have been beaten to death [sm=deadhorse.gif] but for those who are new, it is a way for them to get involved with the forum... take a look at the "Users Viewing this topic" at the top of the forum, how many do you see there that never post, or get involved? yeah a bunch. too often some are quick to jump on others for not using the search function... I for one got that same treatment on another forum, went there looking for specfic info, did the search couldnt find it and posted my question. The 1st reply I got was a "use the search function" from a young college guy who didnt know much. I let him know in a tactful way, "if you dont know dont reply", shortly after that I got ahold of someone who actually knew what they were talking about and had a useful thread going.

Also, many new users are not mechanicaly inclined and need help, they also may be young working on their 1st or 2nd car/truck and are making their 1st mods... being in that situation they may not have a ton of $ to waste on the wrong mod so they look to the experts here on DF. So go easy on them...

to the original poster...

Yeah, get a CAI, I recommend the K&N setup, when you start adding more mods, get a bigger filter for it, I had a 6x9 K&N on with a bunch of mods and it performed really well.

for better performance on a budget... drop in K&N, wrap your fuel rails with inuslating tape (thermo tech) and drop in a 180 deg t-stat.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Terran
Professional

Well said, and good advice [sm=bustedsign.gif]. I actually used to be a an avid antique ford guy, but i got fed up after an incidenct with an automatic transmission so now i'm a dodge guy! lol

Old 10-09-2006, 01:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

well, the dodge tranny isnt much better... you might consider an aftermarket cooler (biggest you can get), shift kit, tranny temp guage and a remote filter... all of which will help extend the life of your tranny.

Even in my '05 CTD... it's already slipping (added a wee bit too much power for it)... valve body should be here today/tomorrow [sm=groupwave.gif]

also there are a ton of mods you can do to bump performance, my suggestion is when you start getting mods on your truck change your signature to reflect them so when you post a question on a mod your considering, anyone replying will see what you already have.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: Terran

Well you see what i'm saying thought, i want to run 87 octane, especially at 12mpg, but i don't see a hypertech programmer being a good first mod, the whole question is, what's the best first mod when i can only afford one every couple of months. Or should i just get a tonneau cover for the winter? lol
The reason i didn't put the superchips is i'm not fond of paying $300 to "tune" my truck for 87 octane gas, i have a mechanical tranny, and stock tires so how much of difference is it going to make really?
I'm beginning to think that you just don't get it. IMO the BEST 1st mod would be to get the Hypertech programmer! It has a setting for 87 octane and it WORKS! The K&N cai is a nice piece, but like someone else said, it helps more at higher rpm's. In order to do what you said you wanted to do, which you said was to afford a mod every couple months - you need to get the programmer to make the computer work better for now, and to help the other mods work their best when you add them. Performance is enhanced by making it easier for the engine to flow air in and exhaust out - "breathe". The computer controls engine timing and fuel delivery based on the readings it gets from the sensors all over the truck. The Hypertech programmer changes the timing and fuel delivery settings to optimize performance whereas the factory settings are to optimize emissions control. As far as the 12 mpg - look at my list of mods on my cardomain link or sig. I average 12.4 - 12.9 mpg all the time. The truck runs a hell of a lot better, but you aren't going to do a mod that makes a huge increase in mileage on one of these trucks. You said you have a "mechanical" tranny. Do you mean a "manual" tranny or an automatic? If you have a manual there is no band adjustment needed.
My first mod was the K&N drop-in filter and the Flowmaster exhaust. Then came the Fastman tb. Then I changed the cap, rotor, plugs, and added the MSD wires. Then came the Hypertech. Then I changed to a 180 degree thermostat. That little $7 part made a world of difference in performance - but the difference was because it helped all the other mods to work better.
Get the Hypertech and get a 180 degree thermostat from NAPA and you will have a good start toward achieving your performance goals.

Don't [sm=shootshoot.gif] me Steve!

Old 10-09-2006, 02:02 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

I average 12.4 - 12.9 mpg all the time. The truck runs a hell of a lot better, but you aren't going to do a mod that makes a huge increase in mileage on one of these trucks.
Don't [sm=shootshoot.gif] me Steve! [/b][/color]
lol...

hey I got 6% out of my fuel cooler mod, Shott has it now and notice a nice bump in the low/midrange power when his fans are on...

Old 10-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Fuel cooler mod???? Explain please. Is this the wrapping the rails with insulating tape or something else?