2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Flowmaster Exhaust - ~$200
31.82%
Magnaflow Cat - $159
11.36%
K&N CAI - $200
47.73%
Shift Kit - $109
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which mod should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:16 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Which mod should i do first?

argument??? who's arguing? it's a discussion between members who have their opinions and everyone is entitled to it.

Silver.. how do you figure you lost power with your exhaust? in your sig you mention dual 2.25's, that should work fine for a 318... if you think you still lost some after having 2.25's, you could always kneck it down another 1/16"~ 1/8 or so... I think however your setup is good...

Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 PM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess what I meant was I feel sort of bad for the guy who started the post having to sort through all the opinions but, like I said before he asked a very opinionated(sp) question so it won't have a clear answer. As far as my exhaust it felt to me like I didn't have as much low-end as I used to, I'm not complaining though I love my exhaust. I was just saying that if I had it do all over again the exhaust would have been lower on my priorities list.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:41 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: silverram99

Well I guess what I meant was I feel sort of bad for the guy who started the post having to sort through all the opinions but, like I said before he asked a very opinionated(sp) question so it won't have a clear answer. As far as my exhaust it felt to me like I didn't have as much low-end as I used to, I'm not complaining though I love my exhaust. I was just saying that if I had it do all over again the exhaust would have been lower on my priorities list.
Di you eliminate your cat?

Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 PM
silverram99
Captain

No and I don't think I will. I don't want to go against what I am preaching here but I'm trying to decide between a high-flow cat, a fastman throttle body or a tuner for my next mod. I know I am going to end up with all three of them. Like I said before I think I worded things wrong in my post, I'm not lacking alot of power or anything I was just saying that it felt like I lost low-end. I understand that a good exhaust is a big part of the performance equation but I was saying that put in Terran's position I wouldn't go with exhaust first because I am assuming he is looking for bang-for-buck type of mods and I feel like so far my CAI has been the best, but that is my opinion and I don't have any dyno sheets to prove it.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Well I know that I'm extremely happy with my Aero Turbine muffler that I recently put on. Perhaps you could go that route instead of the whole Flowmaster set up along with the K&N intake.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

it would be interesting to see what the feedback would be from a gasser... from their website, they seem to get the nod from each group (diesels & gassers)

and... Nope Donnie... my aero is still in the garage... getting the valve body put on in a day or two.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Terran
Professional

You know, i'm not a newb to forums in any way, but i think you have to look at in it the idea that, if it annoys you, don't post on it, but when you were new i bet you asked dumb questions too. There are only so many parts on the truck and i bet if you searched enough, all questions would have been answered already. But in real life, when some younger enthusiast asks you about your exhaust or anything about your truck, do you scream at them to do their research?

This is supposed to be a friendly supportive place.

And i think the throwup is between k&n or flowmaster for next performance mod.

[hr]
K&N by Summit
Has anybody tried the summit version of the K&N filter?

Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Terran

You know, i'm not a newb to forums in any way, but i think you have to look at in it the idea that, if it annoys you, don't post on it, but when you were new i bet you asked dumb questions too. There are only so many parts on the truck and i bet if you searched enough, all questions would have been answered already. But in real life, when some younger enthusiast asks you about your exhaust or anything about your truck, do you scream at them to do their research?

This is supposed to be a friendly supportive place.

And i think the throwup is between k&n or flowmaster for next performance mod.
When I was a newb I had never posted on a forum and my first question was how to get the bolt out of the passenger upper control arm because it was a knuckle busting armbending process.
Someone called me a stupid newb and told me to do a search. At that point I didnt even know there was a search function. So I used it and moved on. I never got sand in my Vagina or cried or needed pampers for my big sore vagina.
As far as posting on topics like this. I would love to share my knowledge on other threads but who the hell wants to weed through all the ones that dont have technical info.

NOTE to everyone

Im not picking on Newbies or anyone else that posts this stuff, I would just like to see higher "tech" when I come to a truck forum.
No offense, I was there at one point.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
nmason
Veteran

the first mod i did to mine was a flowmaster exhaust. mind you im runnign the V6 here. but i went single 2.25 inlet to dual 2.5 out, then 3" magnaflow tips. i also had a magnaflow high flow cat put on, but that was only because the stock one failed. if money is tight, like it is with msot on here, i wouldnt replace anything unless it broken or getting there. i replaced the exhaust when i noticed the muffler looking raddy.

i also recently put a k&n drop in air filter in. they were on sale and i was tired of trying to get the new airhat for my intake to fit properly. im happy with it so far.

oh, and ive NEVER used the search function. but i read about 75% of the posts regardless of whether its something ive dealt with before or not. liek someone said, i still learn alot from most of the posts.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: nmason

oh, and ive NEVER used the search function. but i read about 75% of the posts regardless of whether its something ive dealt with before or not. liek someone said, i still learn alot from most of the posts.
oh NOW it makes sense... <jk> [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]