2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

custom bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: custom bumpers

you shouldn't have to "cut off" the bumper mounts they are bolted on. three bolts hold the middle on and one bolt holds the outside support for the bumper. it's really quite easy to remove (been there done that, had to replace it about a year ago)

Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

i meant cut it off where it attaches to the bumper, not the end that attaches to the frame. maybe im misunderstanding how its constructed, ill look at it closer tomorrow. nvm that question i guess.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:20 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

it will be much easier to make your own. I tried what your talking about and the stock brackets arent strong enough for a beefier bumper and it just creates more fab time

Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

well it's just bolted to mounts too on both sides. using some square headed "carriage styel" bolts under the plastic front fascia.

god ram it is right those things are pretty flimsy on the outside. the ones on the inside would possibly be strong enough, but you'd be better off making something up.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

it will be much easier to make your own. I tried what your talking about and the stock brackets arent strong enough for a beefier bumper and it just creates more fab time

yea i wasnt sure if stock mounts could hold the weight of a steel bumper.... thanx.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I'd just make new brackets too, 1/4" plate will be plenty

Make sure the welds on the brackets are perfect and really penatrate good. I don't wanna say use as many as possible but I would personally use at least 4 grade 8 bolts on the brackets to the frame, especially if your actually gonna use it and get jerked out from it.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:12 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

especially if your actually gonna use it and get jerked out from it.

haha- thats the intention!! thanx for the tip..... am i correct when i say grade 8 flexes a little bit more than grade 5, meaning less likely to shear off?

Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

grade 8 does not "flex" more it's made out of a different type of steel. meaning it has different mechanical properties that make it a stronger bolt by the fact that it takes a lot more force for it to shear than a grade 5. i think it has more carbon in it but not sure on that. (mechanical properties of materials... it's a fun class in college to take if you're going to be a mechanical engineer... aka point finger at myself... me.)

when looking at bolts the biggest way to tell the difference, grade three has no markings on the top, grade 5 has 3 dash lines going from the center to the outside of the head of the bolt, grade 8 has 5 of those lines. stupid confusing marking system but it's what it is. they might also have a 5 or 8 label on the head.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Grade 8 are gold too cause they're
[sm=bling.gif]

Oh yeah, the less carbon the strong is most cases

Old 11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

actually it does have more carbon... it's stronger in tension and compression but weaker in torsion. if you know what those terms are you'll understand (pulling, pushing, and twisting). just had a discussion with some other ME seniors on the subject.

Quick Reply: custom bumpers