2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E85 to pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Dark_Horse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 to pass emissions

I failed Colorado emissions last month due to high CO readings. My readings were 21.7xx and the limit is 20.00. I found out that the problem is a leaky intake manifold gasket (I'm burning oil), but being lazy, I wanted a simpler way to pass. My solution = E85.

I put about 30% E85 in the truck yesterday and what do you know, I passed the emissions test. Same emissions testing place, same emissions testing worker drove the truck both times.

Summary:

CO readings pre E85: 21.7xx. Limit: 20.00 = FAIL
CO readings with E85: 19.77. Limit: 20.00 = PASS

Running 30% E85 did NOT cause drivability problems, no hesitation, no rough running, no cold start problems etc. In fact, if I hadn't put the E85 in myself, I wouldn't be able to tell anything was different from regular Unleaded.

How's that for a 1st post.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: E85 to pass emissions

I'd get that out of your system pretty fast. Non Flex Fuel vehicles will have the gas lines and tank slwly eaten away at. so unless Rams are Flex Fuel, which I have no idea if they are, you might wanna run that E85 through kinda quickly. I guess works though!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

I'd get that out of your system pretty fast. Non Flex Fuel vehicles will have the gas lines and tank slwly eaten away at. so unless Rams are Flex Fuel, which I have no idea if they are, you might wanna run that E85 through kinda quickly. I guess works though!
Rams are not flex fuel vehicles. You're going to learn that a cheap fix (due to laziness) is going cost you $$$.[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Dark_Horse

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

Rams are not flex fuel vehicles. You're going to learn that a cheap fix (due to laziness) is going cost you $$$.[sm=badidea.gif]
It doesn't matter if they're not flex fuel vehicles, you can run ethanol in them anyway. Colorado has had 10% ethanol in gasoline for as long as I've lived here.

How is running 1 tank of 30% E85 going to ruin anything?

A good read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Actually, I will edit and add more information. It seems that the general public has no idea about running E85 at all. Everyone can only say, "It will ruin your vehicle". "It will ruin your fuel lines, injectors, pump etc". When you ask where they got this information from, they have a story like they heard it from someone who heard it from someone etc.

If you spend any time searching to find these stories about peoples vehicles getting ruined by using E85, they aren't out there. Yes, if you are stupid and run 100% E85 without larger injectors, larger fuel pump and some way to control the extra fuel, then you can damage your vehicle.

30% E85 did not give a CEL. 30% E85 does not max out the fuel pump/injectors. I have tried it and found it works just fine in the Ram. I know many people that run 100% E85 on a daily basis on non FFV just fine and have for years now. In fact, on my other vehicle, I'll be running 100% E85 all year long, it's not a FFV either.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM
JD770
Rookie

it would have been safer to add isopropyl alcohol to make a like gasahol mixture(few bottles would do the trick) and it wont eat away like ethanol will.

Or you could have just fixed the problem.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:55 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard!
Got any ping? I would avoid going WOT. You passed the etest cause the E85 is making the motor run lean.

At idle the stock pcm will try to achieve stoichemetric a/f ratio.
E85 = 9.8:1
87 oct = 14.7:1

Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Dark_Horse

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

Welcome aboard!
Got any ping? I would avoid going WOT. You passed the etest cause the E85 is making the motor run lean.

At idle the stock pcm will try to achieve stoichemetric a/f ratio.
E85 = 9.8:1
87 oct = 14.7:1
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm going to disagree with you. I am not running lean. The reason is that your ECU doesn't care what type of fuel you run, whether rocket fuel or regular unleaded, it will compensate up to the point where you run out of injectors/pump. The only way to run lean on E85 is to run too high a percentage where your injectors can't keep up with fuel demand. Since all automakers build wiggle room (about 30ish percent) into their injectors/pump, it's pretty hard to run lean. Plus, running out of injectors will cause a CEL. If I had gotten a CEL, I could have just added a few gallons of unleaded to bring the AFR up a bit.

I have gone WOT plenty of times so far yesterday/today and the truck is just fine, no pinging.

I passed emissions because E85 burns cleaner than unleaded does.

100% E85 reduces:
CO levels by 40%
CO2 levels by 14% - 102%
NOX levels by 10%

Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dark_Horse

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

It doesn't matter if they're not flex fuel vehicles, you can run ethanol in them anyway. Colorado has had 10% ethanol in gasoline for as long as I've lived here.

How is running 1 tank of 30% E85 going to ruin anything?

A good read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Actually, I will edit and add more information. It seems that the general public has no idea about running E85 at all. Everyone can only say, "It will ruin your vehicle". "It will ruin your fuel lines, injectors, pump etc". When you ask where they got this information from, they have a story like they heard it from someone who heard it from someone etc.

If you spend any time searching to find these stories about peoples vehicles getting ruined by using E85, they aren't out there. Yes, if you are stupid and run 100% E85 without larger injectors, larger fuel pump and some way to control the extra fuel, then you can damage your vehicle.

30% E85 did not give a CEL. 30% E85 does not max out the fuel pump/injectors. I have tried it and found it works just fine in the Ram. I know many people that run 100% E85 on a daily basis on non FFV just fine and have for years now. In fact, on my other vehicle, I'll be running 100% E85 all year long, it's not a FFV either.
Runs fine -- for the short term. Many companies have put out warnings to the consumers that only Flex-Fuel vehicles will burn E-85. That is because the PCM is designed to distinguish what type of fuel the vehicle is presently burning. So you burn E-10 regularly -- big deal. Just because a little doesn't hurt doesn't mean more won't.

Also, I was a pre-teen in the 1970's Midwest when ethanol was touted as a Godsend for gasoline. Next thing you know, people's carburetor gaskets and fuel lines are getting eaten up. Ethanol/gasoline mix disappeared.

Either way, if you want to run E85 in your Ram, have at it. If you come here some day talking about how your fuel system, engine, or anything was ruined by E85, I am going to lead the charge of, "I told you so".

Old 11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Dark_Horse

Vehicles today are all overengineered. All vehicles since 1988's were manufacturered to take 10% ethanol concentrations. An engineer isn't going to make a vehicle that only can take 10% ethanol, but at 11% will fall apart. For the longest time, many states were toying with mandating 20% ethanol concentrations in gasoline anyway. If states were contemplating 20% mixtures, they must have known that all vehicles would be able to take it.

When Brazil began making a wholesale conversion to high ethanol fuels back in the late 70's following the energy crisis, they made several studies on the ability of normal cars to run ethanol blends. They found that the cars of that period could run up to about 22% blends on the stock system with no problems, which is why they settled on a 20% blend as one of the fuels available.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Bleckers3

I'm relatively new to posting, as I just got my ram. I also happen to love the theory behind E-85. It's a shame that it will take a while to make it mainstream. What a better way to inject new life into the agriculture of america. The fuel burns cleaner, the farmers have a market for their crops, the byproduct of production can be used as feed and/or fertilizer. There is no such thing as a miracle fuel but I think e-85 is pretty close. Futher more, the service stations cost relatively the same ammount to own and operate.

just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: E85 to pass emissions