2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram Shifter Automatic Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 10:48 PM
ellasman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ram Shifter Automatic Replacement

Hey guys... I need some help with replacing my shifter on my steering column on my 98 Ram 1500. Basically the end of mine where the overdrive button is broke... so I went to the dealer and they gave me a brand new shifter...

I took apart my steering column cover and there is this dowl/pin that i have to pop out to replace the shifter with... the question is how do i remove that dowl/pin ??? do i push it up, or down towards the floor??? Is there a special tool i need or will a punch and a hammer work?? My local dealer wouldn't tell me how to replace it... they wanted to "professionally install it"

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help if anyone knows.

Steve

Old 11-21-2006, 05:27 PM
ellasman
Default RE: 1998 Ram Shifter Automatic Replacement

Does anyone know how to do this???

Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

if it's just a pin then a hammer and a punch should work, just be carful to use a small enough punch to not get suck and large enough to get the pin out.

i haven't had to do this, but that would be what i would do.

just be careful when using the hammer and punch not to damage any of the other components on the shaft or knock it out of position bend it or what not.

seems like something you should be careful with...

call a local auto shop that does work on dodges they would know and would be more willing to tell you. i'm thinking something like a transmission shop.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:10 PM
ellasman

Well which way do i hammer... hammer up towards the ceiling or hammer down towards the floor???? i think these dowl pins are directional.... ??? meaning the have linings on one side of the pin...

Old 11-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shouldn't matter. It's a rolled pin, I bet. Fairly common in automotive usage. Just tap on it and drive it out. It should get to the point where you can grab the pin with a pair of pliers. Don't go too far, or else you rick wedging the punch in the hole and you'll be cussing yourself trying to remove the punch.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Check the FSM, probably will have some directions on how to do it. Probably your best best, or its just a roll pin like VW said

Old 08-22-2015, 12:25 PM
doubleddino

I just did this today!
Take a "C" clamp and a socket, place the socket on the TOP to allow the pin to come out. Place C clamp on top of the socket, and on the bottom of the pin. Tighten the clamp, and the pressure will push the pin up. When it is flush, loosen the clamp, and remove socket and clamp. A couple of taps with a punch will pop it loose, and you can pull it out with your fingers! Hardest part is keeping the clamp and socket lined up on the assy.!

Hope this helps!

Old 09-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Rammin99
Amateur

So did you use a punch while you were tightening the C clamp? I need to do this
Originally Posted by doubleddino
I just did this today!
Take a "C" clamp and a socket, place the socket on the TOP to allow the pin to come out. Place C clamp on top of the socket, and on the bottom of the pin. Tighten the clamp, and the pressure will push the pin up. When it is flush, loosen the clamp, and remove socket and clamp. A couple of taps with a punch will pop it loose, and you can pull it out with your fingers! Hardest part is keeping the clamp and socket lined up on the assy.!

Hope this helps!

Old 09-22-2020, 02:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

He has one post, five years ago, in a 14 year old thread..... Don't expect an answer.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ram Shifter Automatic Replacement